What's new

I want to replace my old 8' flourescent lot lights with LED's and hoping for recommendations

doublj70

Reaction score
Hello,
I have these old pole mounted 8' flourescents at my wash and I want to upgrade to LED's. I am hoping for recommendations from folks who have done this, such as the wattage and brands/models that have worked well. The third pic shows the type I am thinking of using. I am also wondering if the lighting will be sufficient if they are attached like in the third pic or if I should extend the pipes like the green markup on the right of the second pic, so the lights are out a ways from the center pole. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, John

Attachments

Twodose

Reaction score
I have older hubbel rectangular shaped light's like that in my carwash < (1994), 2 singles out front and a double out back < 2 on one pole, we changed the metal halides to 400-watt leds a couple years ago and they work great, I only keep 1 on in front and one on in back on at night and they really light the place up, if all 4 were turned on it would really light up good. < they are on separate time clocks so you can turn one on in front and one on in back, or all 4 on in front or back. < 2 in front and 2 in back.

Depends on the top of your pole if you could mount new leds like from KR, if not you may have to change the poles.

I think mine are 4” square, < the poles, if I get a chance tomorrow, I’ll take some pics.

They have to be up high, I believe I have 16 ft. poles and they are mounted on top of the vac islands in front which raise them about 4 additional feet.

In the back we built a custom form which raised the height 4-5 feet. So, they are probably 20ft high.

They are all hubbel poles and lights, kept the cans for the lights and retrofitted with leds. I believe the leds are adjustable from 250–400-watt output.
Each individual kit comes with an adjustable current driver. Allows setting total wattage from 34 to 67 watts and anything in between. This equates to 175W-420W metal halide equivalent light. < from KR.

Looks like the 200 watt street light pic you posted.

Last edited:

Twodose

Reaction score
They wouldn't fit in a 8ft light housing, they are to wide, they are made to fit in a hubbel light like this:
I have them in the bays, but also used them on the pole lights.

Last edited:

Twodose

Reaction score
You may be better off doing something like this:
If you know anyone that does welding you could have them make an adapter that would slide onto you round pole, I did this years ago at my house when I removed the old 15ft satellite dish to accommodate a dish network satellite dish, it went for 4" to 1-1/4 dish, like an adapter.

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't know why but I like the old-style fluorescent lights like that. I see them in a lot of small towns around here. The city of Luling bought an old service station, turned it into a visitor info center, and kept the 8' pole lights but installed LED tubes in them.

Randy

Reaction score
How big of an area are you trying to light up? How many light fixtures are you wanting to convert? What is the condition of your existing fixtures? We replaced all of my 8’ HO fluorescent bulbs with these 8’ LED bulbs https://www.eledlights.com/led-lights/42w-ultra-high-lumen-8ft-led-tube-with-ho-endings-r17d-t8-t12.html# a few years ago. We had to replace all the tombstones when I converted over to the LED bulbs, not a big deal. I haven’t had any problems with them since we installed them. In the winter I leave them on 24/7. I see now they have a single pin 8’ LED bulb.

Rudy

Reaction score
FWIW, 4 years ago I replaced my 1000W Metal Halide Floodlight with a 300 W led from ledlightexpert.com. The fixture had a 5 year, no questions asked guarantee.

I noticed several LED's had failed in the fixture. They replaced it with an upgraded version....and I couldn't be happier.

I have no connection with them...except that I'm a satisfied customer.

I'd say skip all the retrofit's....and just replace the entire fixture. It isn't worth the hassle.

Here's the upgraded fixture they sent me as a replacement:

300 Watt LED NextGen III Shoebox Light - 42,000 Lumen - 5000K Bright White - Slip Fit - With Photocell - Black Housing (ledlightexpert.com)

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
For what its worth....Kleen-Rite is not the best place to buy bay/parking lot lights or security cameras. You can find much better for much less by doing a little googling.

Toms PTcarwash

Reaction score
You can buy retro fit kits that will make your 2 lamp 8' footer into four lamp 4 footers. Then buy Keystone 4' direct drive lamps. You will then be good for at least 5 years and cut the power to about a third of what those 8's are using.