What's new

I own the land already. Looking for information on starting a car wash. I own a gas station next door to the property. Self serve, full service wash ?

Mknorthcountry

Reaction score
It seems that the towns zoning might be a bit outdated as I think ( and hopefully someone could clarify) that water has to be recycled so I need to check to see if they will allow a car wash in a central business zone. Any recommendations on companies in New York that can help. Thank you in advance for your input. I am new to the car wash business.

eckert16

Reaction score
Ask the town whereever that may be. The local codes may be online if you care to search. Not much info can be provided as you've not provided any....you are looking somewhere in NY... it could be St James, NY or downtown Olean NY, but yes, each town has their own 'rules'

Wash4Life

Reaction score
Here's my take on self-service, full-service and express exteriors.

Personally, I would not build a self-serve today. It's a slow dollar to build up on, and the costs are so high. I don't believe self-serve will become extinct. We live in a culture nowadays where people are going away from doing things yourself.

Full-service requires a lot of labor. With COVID and minimum wage being two rages, it does make one stop and pause. The key really is automation for that part of the industry.

Express exteriors are getting built like crazy. You have to consider whether the market is or will be oversaturated.