What's new

I need signage...

JustClean

Reaction score
Yesterday I had a guy jumping out of the car while the automatic was running trying to lower his antenna. He almost got hit by the gantry.
This showed me that I need to upgrade my signage to legally cover myself. Any great suggestions where to find something? What do you use?
Thanks.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Put up signs that amusement parks put up for the rollercoasters: "Keep hands and feet in car at all times" LOL

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Pretty simple, Do not exit car while wash is working. You agree that you use the wash at your rick. I don't like this, but it will help in court.

JustClean

Reaction score
Pretty simple, Do not exit car while wash is working. You agree that you use the wash at your rick. I don't like this, but it will help in court.
I am getting concerned that I am missing other legal stuff as well. Do you have any "conditions of use" that I could copy and put up the wall that addresses damages, type of vehicles allowed, safety issues, etc., etc.?

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I would put that you use the wash at your own risk. "By using this facility you agree that the wash isn't irresponsible for any damage to Non-factory installed parts, antennas, etc. " I guess while I was at it I'd say, something like. If you get out of the car while the wash is operating that you are an idiot and might get hurt or damage to the car.

MEP001

Reaction score
Kleen-Rite will make a sign with anything you want on it - it's not the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, but it's cheap and relatively durable, and looks fine from more than five feet away. They look like they're made on an inkjet printer.

"Stay in car during wash" would be a good thing to have posted.

Reds

Reaction score
My sign says: (Line1) After Entering (Line2)Do Not Open Car Doors For Any Reason (Line3) Stay In Your Car. I also have a sign on the clearance arch that says "NOTICE: High Pressure Air and Water. Not responsible for damage to factory or aftermarket accessories". I also have some signage from JCC that has similiar statements on it. I had the signs made locally. Some of them are aluminum with diamond grade 3M relflective lettering, which I had made by a company that makes highway signage. All my signs have big bold lettering with yellow or red background patterns. I make them up in MS Excel so I can see what they would look like and then take my printout to the sign company.

Last edited:

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
"Moving machinery in operation while wash is in progress. Stay in vehicle. For assistance call 978-544-5522."

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
After what I've seen over the last few years in terms of settlements involving workplace injuries and wrongful death cases at carwashes, you might want to ratchet your risk management program up by a few more degrees.

In addition to proper instructional signs at the POS and bay entrance (I would use the OEM's recommended signs), you may want to consider installing an emergency stop button on the outside of the gantry (if you don't already have one), automated access doors and video surveillance cameras. In addition, make sure you have an emergency contact phone number posted in a conspicuous place and a maintenance checklist/log book in the equipment room. This may sound a little pricey and involved, but the cost of doing these things will be a fraction of what it may cost you if someone gets hurt while washing and they can demonstrate that you have acted in an irresponsible manner.

JustClean

Reaction score
After what I've seen over the last few years in terms of settlements involving workplace injuries and wrongful death cases at carwashes, you might want to ratchet your risk management program up by a few more degrees.

In addition to proper instructional signs at the POS and bay entrance (I would use the OEM's recommended signs), you may want to consider installing an emergency stop button on the outside of the gantry (if you don't already have one), automated access doors and video surveillance cameras. In addition, make sure you have an emergency contact phone number posted in a conspicuous place and a maintenance checklist/log book in the equipment room. This may sound a little pricey and involved, but the cost of doing these things will be a fraction of what it may cost you if someone gets hurt while washing and they can demonstrate that you have acted in an irresponsible manner.
I don't have any OEM signs.

I had an emergency stop button but I removed it because our customers didn't see it, didn't use it and IF they used it they thought it's there to call me and then they'd drive off leaving my auto shut down.

I have automatic doors, phone numbers and a check list.
What's actually missing is the sign with all the legal BS that, if something happened would make it hard for them to sue me.
I went to a German carwash once and they had a big sign with millions of "what-to-do" and "what-not"s and at the entrance it said you were only allowed to use the wash if you agreed to those terms and conditions.
Of course nobody reads it. But better safe than sorry.

Any ideas what else should go on that sign? I really want to put it up soon.

galen

Reaction score
Signs

I have only one sign and it covers everything. "If you are an idiot do not enter the wash". Course I don't have very much business now. :)

MEP001

Reaction score
Stay in your car, put car in park, not responsible for aftermarket yadda yadda, drive forward slowly, remove or secure loose items in bed (I heard a story about a brush rollover that grabbed a rope tied to a propane cylinder, and I watched a 12" tile blow out of a truck bed and fly 10 feet in the air), not responsible for damage to rims due to low or flat tires, there's really a lot you could have on there.

diamond joe

Reaction score
signs

at the entranct to my automatic i have an instruction sign..".stay in the car " is one of the bullits
Ive been in the buisness only 3 years.One of the first upgrades performed was replacing most of the signs.$$$$$$$$$$$$
the biggest ongoing joke is NO ONE READS THE SIGNS! They exist as a CYA only.

JustClean

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, guys.
I put a list together of what I could think of and I am getting it printed. These are a hell of a lot "terms and conditions of use" and the customer is only allowed to enter the carwash if he agrees and abides by those rules. If the customer decides not to read it it is his choice - it's just to be a little bit more on the safe side. In combination with a dedicated number plate camera it might safe me a lot of money one day. If anyone is interested I can post it here.
BTW I found a great free program to design signs. I can do almost any sign I want and then give the PDF file to my local print shop and all they need to do is to print it out. Saves a lot of money and design hassles. http://www.inkscape.org/