What's new

I let my girlfriend replace vac door gaskets

MEP001

Reaction score
She figured out a really good way to get the old ones off. Still had to use a grinder and wire wheel to remove the bulk, which is messy but is really fast, then she used a cheap dollar store version of Lemon Pledge and sprayed it down. She let it soak a good ten minutes, then used a 6-in-1 paint scraper tool after I sharpened it with a file. The residue came off very easily. She did one with an adhesive-backed gasket and three that were still factory glued with contact cement, and it worked equally well on both kinds.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I've found if I use a MAP gas torch on the outside of the door the gaskets come right off. Peels right off in one piece even gaskets 7+ years old. Then I use Goof Off to clean up what ever residue is left

MEP001

Reaction score
I've found if I use a MAP gas torch on the outside of the door the gaskets come right off. Peels right off in one piece even gaskets 7+ years old. Then I use Goof Off to clean up what ever residue is left
These were 20 years old and some were original with contact cement. Heat won't loosen that, I've tried. The Lemon Pledge worked much easier than Goof Off, which I've also tried, and was a lot les messy. The best trick was the 6-in-1 painter's tool which was way stronger than a razor scraper. I did one door, and it went faster than the time I usually spend just changing broken blades.

soapy

Reaction score
I use a wide wood chisel and then some #m adhesive remover that I get from a automotive paint store.

MEP001

Reaction score
The 3M adhesive cleaner is the second best stuff I've used. I don't know what's in the cheap lemon Pledge, but it works a lot better, and it doesn't dry. The sharpened paint tool is just flexible enough that it keeps the edge really flat scraping horizontally. It just took a quick wipe down with acetone to prep for the gasket. I've done this many, many times over the last 30 years and this was by far the easiest and fastest it's gone.

MEP001

Reaction score
Heating up the door and peeling it is pretty fast and easy if the adhesive hasn't completely dried. There's usually a plastic backing between the gasket and the door, and if that stays intact you can't use anything but heat. Adhesive remover won't get through the plastic. A grinder with a twisted wire wheel works fast but makes a mess. That's the part I dread, so I save it for last thing of the day so I can go home and take a shower.

Mattwash

Reaction score
She figured out a really good way to get the old ones off. Still had to use a grinder and wire wheel to remove the bulk, which is messy but is really fast, then she used a cheap dollar store version of Lemon Pledge and sprayed it down. She let it soak a good ten minutes, then used a 6-in-1 paint scraper tool after I sharpened it with a file. The residue came off very easily. She did one with an adhesive-backed gasket and three that were still factory glued with contact cement, and it worked equally well on both kinds.
I've yet to get my Fiance to go see my car wash, much less help me changeout gasket. She has seen me order thousands of dollars worth of supplies/equipment over the last 9 months while I have remodeled it.... Loves that its finally making money, but could careless about seeing it in person. SMH.

MEP001

Reaction score
Yeah, she helps me a little but mostly just enjoys the money.

MEP001

Reaction score
I can hardly stop her from handling the bills, and I don't want her to because she messes up sorting or misplaces my notes.

Etowah