What's new

I intend to raise my self serve prices this year....

I intend to raise my self serve prices this year...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kramerwv

Reaction score
Iba price is really low - make sure you’re making money.

Nuphoenix

Reaction score
Iba price is really low - make sure you’re making money.
I just raised it this month and I'm making a quarter of what I used to. Weather? Prices? I have yet to find out. I upped the programs and added polymer soap with a high PH presoak. Everyone raved about the soap, pressure and wax. Went to the best program in my system and made that the 7 dollar super wash. Only CC users try it and that's not even once a day. My old top wash was 5 bucks and most used that.

Bandit

Reaction score
We've been raising our prices or cutting the time back every January 1st for the last couple of years. I think most car washes are under priced, the operators are afraid to raise there prices. The car wash on the other end of town is .75 cheaper and gives more time than we do and we do way more business than he does.
Because.......you do more business, why to you think? For us, we have a cleaner place, show face, and have machines that work. Is that your experience too ?

Randy

Reaction score
Because.......you do more business, why to you think? For us, we have a cleaner place, show face, and have machines that work. Is that your experience too ?
We maintain our properties, keep everything working, trim the bushes, keep the weeds out of the planting areas and keep the place clean. We don't hang out at the car wash, we are there early and are gone by the time most of our customers are out of bed.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
You guys that cut back time per coin, how low do you go before you then increase the start price? I believe I'm at $.25 for 20 seconds.

Etowah

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
You guys that cut back time per coin, how low do you go before you then increase the start price? I believe I'm at $.25 for 20 seconds.
We used to have a quarter to start. The problem for was that that meant that the Dixmor LED7 would start counting down while a customer might not put the add'l quarters in fast enough. That meant that with our configured 2 second delay on Dixmor the customer may get angry seeing his time go down while adding the total number of quarters they prefer. I do not know of a work around to solve that issue other than maybe not having the time start until they press a selection like in our 2 room dog wash. The PLC allowed that flexibility.

I encourage the customers to put $10 or even $20 bills in ... that way it is just like 😃a credit card ... never a worry about being interrupted ... all blue sky!!! The ones with a sense of humor kind of chuckle & muse a bit & at least partially agree with the slight sarcasm. I am surprised that some people take me up on the suggestion ... but it tends to be far more $5 bills than $10s or $20s. That is OK since we need the $5 bills to replenish our ATM since our ATM gives out $5 bills. We do get more $20s in our $5 minimum to use our 2 room Dog Wash than in our 6 SSCW bays.

MEP001

Reaction score
We used to have a quarter to start. The problem for was that that meant that the Dixmor LED7 would start counting down while a customer might not put the add'l quarters in fast enough. That meant that with our configured 2 second delay on Dixmor the customer may get angry seeing his time go down while adding the total number of quarters they prefer. I do not know of a work around to solve that issue other than maybe not having the time start until they press a selection like in our 2 room dog wash. The PLC allowed that flexibility.

I encourage the customers to put $10 or even $20 bills in ... that way it is just like 😃a credit card ... never a worry about being interrupted ... all blue sky!!! The ones with a sense of humor kind of chuckle & muse a bit & at least partially agree with the slight sarcasm. I am surprised that some people take me up on the suggestion ... but it tends to be far more $5 bills than $10s or $20s. That is OK since we need the $5 bills to replenish our ATM since our ATM gives out $5 bills. We do get more $20s in our $5 minimum to use our 2 room Dog Wash than in our 6 SSCW bays.
You forgot to promote dollar coins.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
You forgot to promote dollar coins.
Actually, I wanted to avoid being too wordy on "my heads up post" about the question about going to too little time per quarters' start up based on our specific actual experience.

I often swap dollar coins for the customer's bills & more often than not the car wash customer appreciates that ... especially considering that the dollar coins are waterproof!!!

KleanRide

Reaction score
My customers are still filling my quarter slots with pesos and Chuck-e-cheese tokens. Don't think I'll be veering down that dollar coin path, just yet

Randy

Reaction score
My customers are still filling my quarter slots with pesos and Chuck-e-cheese tokens. Don't think I'll be veering down that dollar coin path, just yet
About 10 years ago I got pissed at all the coin jam ups I was getting from customers putting in someone elses tokens, nickels, dimes, pennies etc. so I wedged open the coin return shoe on the coin acceptor, ended that problem. Now whatever BS coins they put in the coin acceptor they lose, only my tokens and US quarters will give credit. That didn't stop the idiot who folded up a $5 bill and put it into the coin acceptor, it didn't give them credit and they waited for 2 hours for me to get there to give them back there $5 bill, a course I took my sweet a$$ time in getting there.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
About 10 years ago I got pissed at all the coin jam ups I was getting from customers putting in someone elses tokens, nickels, dimes, pennies etc. so I wedged open the coin return shoe on the coin acceptor, ended that problem. Now whatever BS coins they put in the coin acceptor they lose, only my tokens and US quarters will give credit. That didn't stop the idiot who folded up a $5 bill and put it into the coin acceptor, it didn't give them credit and they waited for 2 hours for me to get there to give them back there $5 bill, a course I took my sweet a$$ time in getting there.
You can take it for what it is worth but Larry Adamski of Grand Rapids ,MI area ... has shared his long term experience by way of the dollar coins. The fact they are heavier than quarters made his specific coin mechs work better. His staff cashes in quarters for dollar coins since he configured his World Drops to just take dollar coins. His three bill changers only dispense dollar coins.

Of course that possibly applies to yours & others' tokens also. Maybe a $2 or $5 coin would also help from a potential inflation situation along with the weight of those potential future coins?

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
About 10 years ago I got pissed at all the coin jam ups I was getting from customers putting in someone elses tokens, nickels, dimes, pennies etc. so I wedged open the coin return shoe on the coin acceptor, ended that problem.
I just took off the coin cups. Also solves the problem.

MEP001

Reaction score
The fact they are heavier than quarters made his specific coin mechs work better.
They're so heavy that they knock the Slugbuster III's gate open and they end up in my safes without giving credit. Do I blame you or Parker?

Nuphoenix

Reaction score
I'm really thinking of going tokens. Too many people now using the change machine and driving off. Once I add undercarrige and and blow dryers and raise prices to $3.00 to start I probably will.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I'm really thinking of going tokens. Too many people now using the change machine and driving off. Once I add undercarrige and and blow dryers and raise prices to $3.00 to start I probably will.
We are laying the groundwork for hopefully adding undercarriage ... not sure we will get it done this year.

Hopefully, you will keep those of us interested in undercarriage updated on how yours turns out. Considering how many use our updated Blo Dry with the two Domel Motors ... I am thinking the undercarriage will have potential for increasing the gross revenue of our self service bays.

The way our 3x2=6 tandem bays are setup ... a high startup for us is a mistake because so many regulars drive forward when their initial time runs out.

Nuphoenix

Reaction score
We are laying the groundwork for hopefully adding undercarriage ... not sure we will get it done this year.

Hopefully, you will keep those of us interested in undercarriage updated on how yours turns out. Considering how many use our updated Blo Dry with the two Domel Motors ... I am thinking the undercarriage will have potential for increasing the gross revenue of our self service bays.

The way our 3x2=6 tandem bays are setup ... a high startup for us is a mistake because so many regulars drive forward when their initial time runs out.
What is your start up price and time?
What do you mean by a tandem bay?

MEP001

Reaction score
Tandem bay = one long bay with two setups for washing.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
What is your start up price and time?
What do you mean by a tandem bay?
Not a secret ... posted on our coin boxes, website & social media: $1 startup 30 secs per .25 increments regardless of bill. Credit card via reliable ATM includes bill acceptors with the ability to have what I tend to call Coinco Vantage "gift certificates" ... most call them paper tokens etc. I have my Dixmors set with 2 sec delay to avoid the time starting to go down too soon. I would have bonus time but the tandem drive up habit from my regulars might be affected. If we had $2 coins like in our neighboring Canada ... we would be positioned better to up the startup price ... based on my observations. Of course ... the customers would have to easy ability to get both the $1 dollar & the potential $2 coin & the best possible 100% reliable coin mechs. At one time we had summer & winter rates ... not possible anymore considering the current bloated number of automatic washes at local gas fill up stations. No offense ... Earl.

I know I am low on pricing especially for up north in the USA ... considering much colder weather to deal with. Factors for the lower price tag is 24/7 auto operating ovd doors 24/7 SSCW competition is much more visible to the public on two more heavily traffic expressways.