What's new

I hate paint, but ...

vashick1

Reaction score
I was going to put up FRP on a 6 bay ss with painted cinder block walls, but with the economy tanking, I decided to repaint instead. However, this time I used the top self priming semi-gloss latex paints from six different companies; a different one for each bay (all white). Each bay was prepared by blasting off the old loose paint with a zero degree rotating tip, then acid washed, then sprayed with a jomax/bleach solution and finally rinsed and dried prior to painting. In a year or two I should know which paint is the best. I'd be happy to give updates or provide details if there is any interest.

Gabriel

Reaction score
I understand your reasoning, but why not just try one, two, or three bays with FRP. All of your future questions will be answered for next time. I have them side by side and, well I would just make it a point to at least try one.

captain cw

Reaction score
I'm with Gator. Paint does not seem to last as long FRP and is harder to keep clean. It's worth looking at for the long run.

vashick1

Reaction score
I can try to post some pics; it looks great now. I have used FRP at another ss and I agree it looks good and lasts long. However, it costs a lot more than painting. The paint was about $700 for the whole wash. I have painted several other ss washes over the years, and I have gotten 4 -5 years out of the paint. Paint was my choice because of the downturn in business.

teamplex65

Reaction score
We are looking at painting our washes next sprin. Can you list a couple of the paint companies and types of paint you used, since I believe it is different then your standard exterior paint.

Gabriel

Reaction score
If you simply converted one bay a year instead of painting that bay, you would soon have a 30 yr. Wash. Probably that is about as long as you will operate it. Once every 4 to 5 years and looking crummy three of those years is only a quick fix solution. In addition it gets worse every single year.

vashick1

Reaction score
Here are a few pics. I used Lowes Duramax, Sears Ultra Weatherbeater, Dulux Fortis, Home Depot Behr Ultra Premium, Sherwin Williams Duration and PPG Timeless. I normally clean painted walls with acid once a year and they look surprising good for 4 -5 years. Again, paint was simply the much cheaper alternative. Sorry, couldn't figure out how to include the pictures.

MEP001

Reaction score
One of the best way to post pics is to host them on a site (I use imageshack.us, which is completely free) and post the link. You have direct control over the image and its size rather than attaching it, which tends to reduce it.

pgrzes

Reaction score
try Sherwin Williams SeaShore White. $200 for 5 gallons. Real heavy 5 gal good for 2 bays. been three yrs. nu wall every 6 mos. if needed we just touch up.
Have 7 bays ripped frp down. It looks nice until it cracks. as it ages it discolors. seems always hold dirt. Texture of panel holds dirt. I bought wash with the frp on 4 bays and hated it since i got the place. Now have the whole place painted with the seashore white.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I have some pics of washes I had painted. This first one was new construction. We paid a professional painter and he did exactly what the Sherwin Williams rep instructed. The paint was oil based epoxy.

This one was an 8 year old brick wash. We used Benjamin Moore oil based epoxy and also had a BM rep come look at it beforehand. The same painter did everything as instructed.

On this 6 year old brick wash we used Coronado latex epoxy. The paint stayed on great, but brick faces pop off daily.

Still wanna paint?

MEP001

Reaction score
I.B. Washincars said:
Anybody know why my pics don't show up?
You duplicated the http:// at the beginning of the links...it also appears that particular Photobucket picture link is invalid as forum links. There should be a different method of hosting specifically for forums, or use another service such as imageshack.us, which is free.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I have some pics of washes I had painted. This first one was new construction. We paid a professional painter and he did exactly what the Sherwin Williams rep instructed. The paint was oil based epoxy.

This one was an 8 year old brick wash. We used Benjamin Moore oil based epoxy and also had a BM rep come look at it beforehand. The same painter did everything as instructed.

On this 6 year old brick wash we used Coronado latex epoxy. The paint stayed on great, but brick faces pop off daily.

Still wanna paint?

Gabriel

Reaction score
Boy, a picture sure says a lot. I can see that just slapping a little paint here and there over those bad areas would make that Wash look like new. I actually think we got a better job with our painting because of the added featues. All of the paint came off around the floor where it is moist, lots of nice black mildew that eats chemicals for a living, paint doesn't seem to peel off, it just falls off in hunks. The one bad thing in comparison is that our red paint did not turn that nice pink color. Ours just faded to a dull orange. We have painted a few times to save what we can but our best results were to cover the crap up. At one location we stained the block exterior and added one block line of color. It looks about exactly like it did the day we built the location. On the inside of the bays, office and equipment, we covered it up. I suppose different things work better in different locations.

sparkey

Reaction score
I was going to put up FRP on a 6 bay ss with painted cinder block walls, but with the economy tanking, I decided to repaint instead. However, this time I used the top self priming semi-gloss latex paints from six different companies; a different one for each bay (all white). Each bay was prepared by blasting off the old loose paint with a zero degree rotating tip, then acid washed, then sprayed with a jomax/bleach solution and finally rinsed and dried prior to painting. In a year or two I should know which paint is the best. I'd be happy to give updates or provide details if there is any interest.
Can you give us an update on which paint did the best and if any are worth useing?

Bucksavage

Reaction score
Painted Walls

I would sand blast or chemical strip the old paint off. Use some sort of skim coat or heavy sealer to keep the brick from falling out. I don't know what exactly you could use but the paint stor or a mason could tell you.

I did my automatic bay walls with Sherwin Williams Macropoxy. This is a 2 part epoxy that is used for storage tanks and boats in seawater. Really tough stuff but also really expensive. I think your looking at $70 to $80 per gallon and you need Part A and Part B so its double. In my opinion worth it but I wasnt gong to pay that much for my self serve bays.

My self serve bays have Sherwin Williams exterior high gloss paint. They told me it wouldnt last with all the water etc..But my bays are really wide and 14' high so there is a lot of venitilation. 6 months later and they still look like new.