What's new

Hydrominder question

Reaction score
I just had to replace my second hydrominder in about 6 months for the same exact problem. These are 507 model hydrominders, I believe, and they just stop pulling chemical. I have taken them apart and cleaned and inspected everything only to find nothing apparently wrong. I replace with a new one and reuse the same chem supply tube and foot valve, float, tip, and discharge tube and it works fine again. Any ideas what is going on here? This is only on my foam brush, all the other hydrominders are years old. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I did not replace the diaphragm as I did not see any issues. Thanks for the heads up. The hydrominder i just replaced was only 6 mo old max. Do you think the eductor could be worn out already? I have other hydrominders that are probably over 10 years old that work fine.

Randy

Reaction score
I did not replace the diaphragm as I did not see any issues. Thanks for the heads up. The hydrominder i just replaced was only 6 mo old max. Do you think the eductor could be worn out already? I have other hydrominders that are probably over 10 years old that work fine.
It's probably not bad after 6 months, but I would replace it and the diaphragm. The newer Hydrominders don't seem to last as log as the older ones with the metal valve stem. If your using a real thick sap the Hydrominder could have a hard time pulling it. Just buy this kit

Reaction score
It's probably not bad after 6 months, but I would replace it and the diaphragm. The newer Hydrominders don't seem to last as log as the older ones with the metal valve stem. If your using a real thick sap the Hydrominder could have a hard time pulling it. Just buy this kit
I will try that. Thanks guys.

MEP001

Reaction score
Six months is a little unusual, but it's not uncommon for them to flow too little for chemical to draw. FWIW I always replace the entire valve kit with one that comes with a new brass stem. I've had a lot fewer problems after doing so.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Check the educator for buildup of deposits. Sometimes that will affect the draw.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
If you listen carefully and no equipment is running you can pull down on the float chain and listen to the sound of water running through the hydrominder. Compare that sound to the others on line and see if the flow sounds weak. If it does, then that is a partially clogged inlet screen, hydro diaphragm, or other flow restriction like a valve partially turned off. I don't bother replacing other parts in the kit, I just replace the diaphragm which is $2 IIRC. I do like to keep at least one full repair kit on hand because if you're changing the diaphragm and drop that little plunger spring on the ER floor it may never be seen again.

I have to replace diaphragms fairly frequently on my IBA presoaks, You can tell that the're bad because they kinda stick to the body when you take them out, like the rubber is breaking down.

kangamar

Reaction score
LOL. Wouldn't we want that instead of having to buy replacement kits all of the time?

Roz

Reaction score
You should contact Hydrominder Systems tech support (https://hydrosystemsco.com/product/hydrominder/) and ask them. We purchased all new self service equipment Aug 2018 from KR. Had some issues with our hydrominder pancaking (educator) such that the water would overflow our tank (happened on the rinse tank).

Called tech support who were super helpful. They were aware of a bad batch of Educators from previous owners calling them. As a result they sent us a replacement Educator which was the issue. New equipment should not fail within the first year (min).

MEP001

Reaction score
The diaphragm is what controls the flow of water. I've had lots of issues with Hydrominders flowing enough to keep the tank full but not enough to create a suction through the eductor. As long as the valve stem is brass you can get away with replacing just the diaphragm, but I've had lost of issues with the problem happening again in a few weeks or months if the valve stem is plastic. After replacing the whole kit I don't usually have any issues again for many years.

I recently worked on one, replaced the valve kit, replaced the water supply hose (Was made with steel fittings and was rusted), cleaned the screen, and it still wouldn't draw. I had a spare eductor kit so I went to change it, and the old eductor broke in half when I tried to unscrew it. Must've been cracked.

I worked on one a couple years ago that wouldn't draw, tried literally everything including replacing the discharge hose, finally saw that the flow was jetting through the restrictor ring without touching it. As soon as I flexed the discharge hose and the flow touched it, it made strong suction.