What's new

Hydrominder 572 and 573 cheap repair

Etowah

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Hi guys, just discovered something about these valves that I didn’t realize. My hydrominder 572 valve failed in the open position. It’s a Carolina pride pump stand and they didn’t really make a good way to install a more traditional unit (jobe, etc.). These valves are ok but are $200 plus new. The rebuild diaphragm is $55 and the actuator assembly is $80, so it’s an expensive rebuild. A former employee once remarked that valve looked like a sprinkler valve he used in the landscape business. Sure enough, the body of the valve is a hunter 1” sprinkler valve available at lowes and Home Depot for less than $20. I bought the valve, disassembled it and robbed the diaphragm. That didn’t fix the problem so I looked at the plunger stem. The plunger stem/shaft assembly on the hunter is affixed to the coil so I thought I was out of luck. However, I pulled on the rubber seat and it came right off! I pulled the bad one off the hydrominder plunger And replaced it. It looks like it’s fixed. Here’s a couple of pictures for comparison. The hydro diaphragm vs the $6 hunter replacement part and the two valves. I’m going to try figure out how to remove the plunger assembly on this one. image.jpg image.jpg

Keno

Reaction score
Nice find, seems like a lot of car wash parts are just repurposed items from other industries with a huge markup when bought from the "manufacturer". We have a couple of the sprinkler valves used as fill valves with an electronic float switch to control - they are available with 24v and 110v coils. While they can't replace solenoids in all situations, they work well as fill valves, are cheap, and available at any home depot/lowes

MEP001

Reaction score
That's a great discovery. I've found a couple things like that in my time.

FWIW, I don't like the big Hydrominders. They seem to always fail closed. When I worked for a distributor, someone talked the owner into trying them, but every single one would eventually fail closed. Another guy asked me to get him one to install, and after I told him it was a bad idea I did it for him. Maybe two weeks later he called me on a Saturday morning with his car wash shut down. I had ordered a kit, came out and repaired it, then not long after it started sticking wide open. He was done with them at that point. It was a Coleman Super Saver, so I took a 1" Walters valve and bent the rod into an "S" so it would fit, and no problems since.