What's new

Hydra Cell pumps VS Cat pumps

East side J

Reaction score
Have three Hydra-cell pumps that feed my ss bays. However I haven't ran into any other operators that run them, they all have cat pumps. Has anyone here worked with both? If so what was your experience/ preference?
Thanks

Reaction score
In my personal experience Hydracell is the superior pump in most applications, but the CAT 3535 is a great pump too. Take this with a grain of salt as I’m going off other operator’s experience.

Reaction score
It's one or the other. It can't be both. What is your actual personal experience?
Sorry I wasn’t clear with that. In my personal experience the Hydracell is the superior pump. I was a volunteer at a wash with a CAT for a while and I am going to work at a wash with Magnum Hydracell pumps soon. CATs are loud and generate about 800 PSI reliably, while Hydracell pumps (H25s specifically) can generate about 1000 PSI just as reliably. Like I said, I don’t own either so take this with a grain of salt.

MGSMN

Reaction score
Hydra-Cell cell pumps are very reliable and would be my first choice if I was pumping reclaim water. However, they are more work to repair if you should need to service them. They are not hard to repair, just not as easy as a typical CAT or Arimitsu pump. If they are still running well I wouldn't change them out for a piston pump. If I was buying new equipment it would probably have a CAT or Arimitsu pumps on it. I haven't seen self serve equipment with Hydra-Cell pumps on it a long time. Ryko used them in their early setups.

Etowah

CMDguy

Reaction score
In my personal experience Hydracell is the superior pump in most applications, but the CAT 3535 is a great pump too. Take this with a grain of salt as I’m going off other operator’s experience.
Didn't I tell you to be careful about making recommendations? We're talking about things that are in the equipment room and not something you always get to see. Unless you are giving an opinion from the perspective of a customer (and being honest) on things easily seen, stay out of this stuff

I am limiting myself to asking questions and giving my perspective on systems if I am asked as the customer what I like, and I want to be forthcoming about it too. This forum really isn't meant for non-operators so be thankful we are all accepted on here.

East side J

Reaction score
Hydra-Cell cell pumps are very reliable and would be my first choice if I was pumping reclaim water. However, they are more work to repair if you should need to service them. They are not hard to repair, just not as easy as a typical CAT or Arimitsu pump. If they are still running well I wouldn't change them out for a piston pump. If I was buying new equipment it would probably have a CAT or Arimitsu pumps on it. I haven't seen self serve equipment with Hydra-Cell pumps on it a long time. Ryko used them in their early setups.
That makes sense, this is a very old ryko set up (1980-ish) and the pumps are the D-10 series. Honestly the pumps seem to be great, however im wanting to update the pump bench and low pressure features in an effort to find efficiencies, as well as space saving. A vertical configuration for my ss pumps station would be preferred....Thanks for the input

MEP001

Reaction score
In my personal experience the Hydracell is the superior pump. I was a volunteer at a wash with a CAT for a while and I am going to work at a wash with Magnum Hydracell pumps soon.
Have you even seen a Hydracell pump? You have ZERO hands-on experience with either pump. Your comments about the pressure they run proves your complete ignorance. You have no business posting about your "experience."

Reaction score
Have you even seen a Hydracell pump? You have ZERO hands-on experience with either pump. Your comments about the pressure they run proves your complete ignorance. You have no business posting about your "experience."
I’m just giving my input. I have worked with both pumps hands on.

CMDguy

Reaction score
Have you even seen a Hydracell pump?
He has I’m sure, but just SEEING it doesn’t help anything. I’ve seen both CAT and HydraCell pumps up close but since I’ve never actually worked with them I don’t have a strong opinion.

Thomas Miller

Banned
Reaction score
It's one or the other. It can't be both. What is your actual personal experience?
They have benefits to both, hydracells can run off of reclaim but Cat's need fresh water. Often why HydraCells are ran in tunnels and Cat's in Inbays, they each have their own application.

Thomas Miller

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry I wasn’t clear with that. In my personal experience the Hydracell is the superior pump. I was a volunteer at a wash with a CAT for a while and I am going to work at a wash with Magnum Hydracell pumps soon. CATs are loud and generate about 800 PSI reliably, while Hydracell pumps (H25s specifically) can generate about 1000 PSI just as reliably. Like I said, I don’t own either so take this with a grain of salt.
It's truly the GPM and the size of your arch that you want to look at, while pressure is important it doesn't mean as much when you're squeezing a lot of water out of a few tiny nozzles. I do agree with MEP about the experience part though.

Reaction score
No, you haven't. You already admitted you haven't. You don't "volunteer" at a car wash and service a Cat 3535 pump.
Yes I have volunteered at a wash. I soon plan to work at one with Magnum pumps. If you still don’t believe me, give me what proof you have against me. What did I admit to?

soapy

Reaction score
I have been using Hydracell pumps for 30 years and cat/arimitsu pumps for 20. Hydracells do not offer as high of pressure as a piston pump. You should generally run them at 1000 psi. HC can be run dry without damage. The center oring on the HC is what I have a problem with most. It is the one that blows out and I keep a supply of the on hand. At one location I have Cat pumps at one and I run a higher pressure with them. I have been switching over to the Arimitsu pumps as the Cat pumps fail and actually prefer the arimitsu over any of the 3 pumps.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
.......................at. In my personal experience t.................... I was a volunteer at a wash with a CAT for a while and I am going to work at a wash with Magnum Hydracell pumps soon. CATs are loud and generate about 800 PSI reliably, while Hydracell pumps (H25s specifically) can generate about 1000 PSI just as reliably. Like I said, I....................................ithe grain of salt.
The "Grain would be huge. The statement about loud - perhaps, the one abut pressure - experience of most every operator on this forum would say you are wrong. My Cats operate at 1150-1250 psi for years and years..
Anyone here agree with that comment about pressure?

soapy

Reaction score
I found 1000 psi for the Wanner D10 SS pumps is where they like to run. Piston pumps can run for years at 1000 to 1500 psi years if you have the right pump./

soonermajic

Reaction score
What the literal blue hel is MtWcw, ThomasMiller & CMDguy still dling on here.??!!!
They're making this one great site, nearly unbearable.

OurTown

Reaction score
What the literal blue hel is MtWcw, ThomasMiller & CMDguy still dling on here.??!!!
They're making this one great site, nearly unbearable.

It's all noise and you just have to get your filter installed temporarily until they go away for awhile.