What's new

HP Hose protectors

Wash Grunt

Reaction score
Does anyone use hose protectors on their HP hoses? We seem to be going through a lot of hoses that all fail in the same place. About 6 inches from the hose spray gun connection. Would a swivel union help? we have 1/4" hoses with 3/8" fittings. The owner passed away recently and he ordered all the parts. We have Continental hose that I think were pre-made from Kleen-Rite. Thanks

Wash Grunt

Reaction score
No. Only swivel is at the boom. We have a two foot piece of 4" PVC upright attached to the drain that the end of the spray gun goes in at storage. Hooks on the wall for the hose, that of course no one uses. So when the gun is on the holder pointed down, there is always a bend in the hose. That is where the failures occur.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
With a hose affixed to the gun without a swivel it bends in the same place time after time when placed in the wand holder.

Try putting s T-gun swivel on . A lot of people have two swivels on each hose. coming off the boom. You can have a short 1" piece of hose and a FXF swivel, Then, attach the boom hose to that swivel and put the FXM swivel such as the one above on the gun. It makes the hose much easier to rotate and for the customer to use.

Wash Grunt

Reaction score
Sorry I am a bit confused. Looking at the swivel you recommend, couldn't I attached the swivel to the gun and the other end directly to the hose. What is a t-gun , FXF and FXM swivel? I am a retired guy working at the car wash for something to do. Trying to learn, the owner was the repair expert. Thanks

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Yes, attach the male x female (MXF) swivel shown above to the gun and then connect the hose to the swivel. If you want to make it easier for the customer to use you can install a swivel on both ends, the boom end and the gun end. Some people will also use what I’ve heard called a “swivel saver “ hose. This allows a little play on the boom end swivel. The hose is usually about a foot long and the two hose ends are connected with a double female (FXF) swivel. This helps prevent premature failure of the boom end swivel due to lateral forces of customers pulling the hose around the car. I’ll try to get a picture the next time I’m at the wash

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
If your PVC pipe is vertical where the gun goes in, you might change it to a 45° angle to eliminate the strain of the hose while holstered.

DPD36

Reaction score
I swapped over to the Mosmatic comfort hose a few years ago. These things last forever compared to the regular high pressure hoses and they are much lighter. I think that I have replaced one of them over the years because of the environment/sun. The very few others that I have replaced were from abuse. We have swivels on both ends.