What's new

How well do Crypto pay swipers work in a very dirty/wet environment

dbcknghm

Reaction score
Looking for input if anyone has experience using cryptopay swipers in a very dirty car/truck wash......am considering adding them but am wondering if they will perform. Have a very dirty rural wash where boats, quads, farmers n u name it routinely wash and it can be a big mess..... wondering if the swipers would get fouled and not work or give us issues in this environment..... experience? Thanks

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Might want to call and ask them. The card reader is inside a plastic housing, but I worry about the button on the front. I’m sure it has a rubber seal, but might be good to ask. Mine have held up to the sprays in the bay for the past two years.

MEP001

Reaction score
I'd be more concerned about dirt/mud in the swiper than water. I would think the grit will destroy the reader heads and your customers' cards. In such an environment you might want a flip-up shield to keep the mud splatter off the reader.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I don't know that your question can be answered since "Very Dirty" is difficult to quantify. I have them in 8 bays for about 5 years and think I have had 4 go bad. Depending on your layout perhaps you could run a Pipe from the meter box to the end of the bay or even to the outside wall and put the swiper there.

OurTown

Reaction score
I assume you take coins or bills now (or maybe both) and do not have any issues with the acceptors getting mud in them. You would most likely have less mud issues with the Cryptopay swipers. We clean our swipers every week with a waffle card reader cleaning card and every once in a while will see any real dirt on them. When I see mud on the meter box face that is indicator that the reader might be dirtier than normal. You could clean them every day and then less and less to get a feel for how often it needs done. We like the ones with the waffle texture. They seem to work a little better than the flat ones.

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-29933-kic-team-kw3-hscb40-smart-card-reader-cleaning-card-40box.aspx

cebo

Reaction score
I know your pain. We have 800 miles of dirt roads in my county. I've had them in the bays for over 3 years now without a failure. We just use the cleaner pad on them every few months.

wgwagg

Reaction score
I’m also in a very rural area where off road vehicles are the norm, especially this time of year. Some of my meter boxes are unfortunately placed in the center of the bay where they receive a lot of punishment from overspray. Crypto readers on those bays tend to fare just as well as the ones on meter boxes at the end of the bay where they are less apt to be covered in mud. We do have to clean those swipers more often with the alcohol cleaner cards than the others but they are pretty durable even in tougher conditions.

Carwashking

Reaction score
I think I have the busiest truck wash in the USA. Dump Trucks, Gravel Haulers and anything dirty. I operate over 70 Bays and if it survives our truck bay environment it will work anywhere. I can say with confidence Crytopay is awesome. I wish they offered a remote cancel button as this is the only reason we occasionally need to send a swipper in for repair.

MEP001

Reaction score
I wish they offered a remote cancel button as this is the only reason we occasionally need to send a swipper in for repair.
FWIW I opened some up and soldered wires to the button for them to be cancelled externally. I used a PLC and wired it so when "STOP" is selected the Cryptopay circuit closes after 5 seconds. I originally did this with a Hamilton D.A.N. system after a customer called me over and said he was pressing stop and it kept charging him. I pressed the clearly marked flashing red "STOP" button as the signage said and it shut off, at which point he said "Oh, I was pressing this!" and jabbed his thumb at the "STOP" label on the rotary switch decal.

I asked Cryptopay about providing an external cancel circuit and they said they have no future plans of providing one, despite several people requesting it.

magicmistyuma

Reaction score
We are very dusty and dirty here plus are agriculture business is awesome with mud everywhere and my swipers work great!!!!

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
FWIW I opened some up and soldered wires to the button for them to be cancelled externally. I used a PLC and wired it so when "STOP" is selected the Cryptopay circuit closes after 5 seconds. I originally did this with a Hamilton D.A.N. system after a customer called me over and said he was pressing stop and it kept charging him. I pressed the clearly marked flashing red "STOP" button as the signage said and it shut off, at which point he said "Oh, I was pressing this!" and jabbed his thumb at the "STOP" label on the rotary switch decal.

I asked Cryptopay about providing an external cancel circuit and they said they have no future plans of providing one, despite several people requesting it.
I switched over to this system from Etowah Valley a couple of years ago and many people still just rotate to the stop position.

MEP, I've got a reader with a bad button, is it easy enough to get in there and repair that myself? I could rob a button off a bad swiper I have.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I wonder if we labeled the stop position “OFF” instead of “STOP”, would it help. Better yet, maybe just put a blank circle where the stop position now resides.

Reaction score
No problem with mine so far

question... Are your swiper very tight hard to get card thru

the one on my auto swipes nice and easy all the inbays with the button seem to have some resistance
thanks

wash12

Reaction score
I currently have unitec wash pay system and swipers are a pain anyone switch from wash pay to crypto pay if so any major positives?

A few questions:

Is crypto pay a dual swiper? Wash pay is not and customers always swipe wrong way.

Being they are wireless do they ever lose connection or unreliable?

What is the average fee for processing cards?

Do they accept Amex?

OurTown

Reaction score
Is crypto pay a dual swiper? Wash pay is not and customers always swipe wrong way.
They are one sided and we have the same issue for first time customers.

Being they are wireless do they ever lose connection or unreliable?
They seem pretty reliable to us.

What is the average fee for processing cards?
All in fees were 6.9% for us the last time I checked. The higher the ticket the lower the fee percentage. If you search on here you will find that the percentages are all over the place but most are between 6-7.

Do they accept Amex?
Yes they do if you turn that feature on in your online account.