What's new

How to use Rain-Shield?

bcwang

Reaction score
I encountered a SS bay that has a poster saying they use Ryko Rain-Shield. I thought this was normally for automatic washes, but thinking about it there shouldn't be anything wrong with applying it yourself at a SS. It's a bit strange to see there though, and I'm guessing the "power-gloss" setting should be the one that uses it, hopefully. However, I'm pretty sure there is a proper way to apply a surface sealant which automatics are probably normally setup to do for you.

So for those who know about Rain-Shield, what exactly is the recommended application procedure?

-how much to apply (thick or thin)?
-should I apply it to everything or avoid certain areas of the car?
-how long to let it linger?
-Rinse off with HP rinse or LP spot free?
-Should I avoid towel drying?

Thanks!

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I'm asking the same question to the chemical tech over at Ryko today hope to have an answer by this afternoon (I have the wash right across the street from Ryko) so getting info shouldn't be a problem.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
-how much to apply (thick or thin)?
Rainshield likes lots of air injected into it! Set the air at around 90 PSI. It should slightly foam but mostly bubbles that disipate in about 10 to 15 seconds.

-should I apply it to everything or avoid certain areas of the car?
Coat the entire car.

-how long to let it linger?
Around 30 seconds is all thats needed

-Rinse off with HP rinse or LP spot free?
Spot free

-Should I avoid towel drying? No need to if you have a dryer, but if you feel the need to use a towel, go ahead there is no greasey residue as with some other surface protectorants.

bcwang

Reaction score
Thanks RykoPro!

Hopefully they have the setup right so it foams, I'm going to give it a try when one of my cars gets dirty.

Is there any drawback to using this product on certain things without giving any benefit? For example, I've seen some washes use some sort of product that makes the car bead, maybe clear coat protectant, but it also ends up making my wipers chatter afterwards. I'm not sure of the particular product in that wash, but I hope to avoid that with rain-shield.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
With Rain shield you will not need to use the wipers untill it pours! With quality chemicals you should not see wipers chattering whether you are using wax, clear coat protectorant or a surface sealer. We have found no drawbacks at all when it comes to rain shield. Set up properly, you will use very little per car with dramatic results.

MEP001

Reaction score
I might point out that this person is obviously an individual asking questions on how to treat his own car(s) and not an owner/operator.