What's new

How to update MEI / MARS bill acceptor firmware?

Etowah

MEP001

Reaction score
Call Etowah Valley Equipment. They used to rent the updater. IMO it's not worth buying the unit for one car wash.

Are yours so out-of-date that they aren't accepting current bills?

Mchas

Reaction score
Thanks. They do accept bills, but when newer versions of bills come out, I have had to pay to upgrade them and would like to be able to do it myself. We have several locations so I am expecting it to cost a bit upfront but recoup the cost over time.

OurTown

Reaction score
How often does this usually need to take place?

chaz

Reaction score
The update module needs to be updated when a new bill is released. The most recent new bill was the five.....that’s been out several years

Randy

Reaction score
When the last bill changed happened in 2008 with the $5 bill I sent a rental programmer all across the US, it was just about worn out when I got it back. I don’t recall how many car wash operators used it but it was a lot. The next bill change is going to be the $20 bill, it won’t be released until around 2028, so you’ve got a while to plan. The best programmer that Mars/MEI had was a dual programmer that was both 24 volt and 110 volt, that programmer was discontinued a few years ago. Now you have to buy a 24 and a 110 volt programmer so it’s not really beneficial to buy 2 programmers. Not all Mars validators are upgradable, if the validator was made after the 40th week of 1999 can be upgraded. The first three digits of the serial number determine the week and year of manufacture. The first two are the week and the third digit is the year. Or if the validator has a “Flash Port” logo on the side sticker of the validator. If you need a validator upgraded let me know.

Mchas

Reaction score
A lot of great info - thanks!! I have heard there are some newer fake bills that are getting past the acceptor and the newer firmware can prevent it which is how this started. I believe it is only the larger bills so I am not too concerned with my bay acceptors since they don’t accept those, only my changer acceptors.

So I assume I would only need the 110v version to accomplish this. Would the Kleen rite link above be the right thing to use for this?

Mchas

Reaction score
Oh really? Does anyone know the source to get the firmware updates? I was wondering about that.

Randy

Reaction score
Oh really? Does anyone know the source to get the firmware updates? I was wondering about that.
Yes I have the Firmware updates. How many Mars validators do you have to do and what voltage are the Mars validators you want to do? Do they currently accept the latest currencies?

MEP001

Reaction score
Does anyone know the source to get the firmware updates?
Contact AECO Sales. They should be able to help you get it if they can't get it to you directly.

Mchas

Reaction score
Yes I have the Firmware updates. How many Mars validators do you have to do and what voltage are the Mars validators you want to do? Do they currently accept the latest currencies?
I have 4 validators in my change machines (110v) that I would like to upgrade to version 3.73. Yes, they accept the latest currencies but I have heard that there are some good fake bills that get past earlier versions of the firmware and I want to upgrade them to prevent that.

Randy

Reaction score
I have 4 validators in my change machines (110v) that I would like to upgrade to version 3.73. Yes, they accept the latest currencies but I have heard that there are some good fake bills that get past earlier versions of the firmware and I want to upgrade them to prevent that.
How old are the validators? If they have been in service for over 3 years they should be sent in for an overhaul/rebuilt. After about 3 years of being in service the capacitors on the main board begin to get weak, the upper and lower LED housings begin to crack and the belts/tires normally need to be replaced. I’ve got a couple of bill changer customers who trade in there validators every 21/2 to 3 years and buy new.

Rudy

Reaction score
I've got a Shurvend that I bought 7 years ago. The Mars setup (recycler, coin mech, and validator)....is starting to get fussy.

Recommendation? Replace with new? Send it for overhaul?

I can do a LOT of board level repairs. Is it that hard to replace the caps?

The Sensit Board (AMS vendor board) often reports "communication error". Would weak caps cause mis-communication on the MDB bus?

MEP001

Reaction score
I have bought a number of refurbished units off eBay, usually about $125 plus shipping. That's barely more than I pay for repair. There was a seller that put a purple repair tag on them who always sent them looking like new, but I haven't been able to find them in a while. The last one I got was from a seller with a super high feedback number and 99.9% positive feedback. I've never had a problem doing this and have recommended the same to people I know personally who have also never gotten a bad one.

Randy

Reaction score
I've got a Shurvend that I bought 7 years ago. The Mars setup (recycler, coin mech, and validator)....is starting to get fussy.

Recommendation? Replace with new? Send it for overhaul?

I can do a LOT of board level repairs. Is it that hard to replace the caps?

The Sensit Board (AMS vendor board) often reports "communication error". Would weak caps cause mis-communication on the MDB bus?
Send the coin changer and validator it in for a complete rebuild. There are things that are done to the coin changer and validator that you can't do.

Randy

Reaction score
I have bought a number of refurbished units off eBay, usually about $125 plus shipping. That's barely more than I pay for repair. There was a seller that put a purple repair tag on them who always sent them looking like new, but I haven't been able to find them in a while. The last one I got was from a seller with a super high feedback number and 99.9% positive feedback. I've never had a problem doing this and have recommended the same to people I know personally who have also never gotten a bad one.
Buyer beware on buying validators on EBay. I bought a New Mars AE2602 on EBay a while back and when I got it I plugged it in to my computer, pulled the serial number off the main board. The validator was almost 4 years old. What the seller was doing was taking the guts out of new validators and putting them into his old validators and selling the old validator in the new validator housing. Naturally he denied the whole thing.

I’ve contacted a few of those sellers on EBay asking them what they do for a rebuild and they aren’t doing a complete rebuild. What they are doing is cleaning the validator, putting on new belts, flashing the software and calling it a rebuild, that’s not a complete rebuild.

MEP001

Reaction score
Which is why you look at the seller's feedback count and rating. Don't buy from a seller with only 20, buy from the one with 20,000. Those are not in business to rip people off. Also pay with PayPal if you can and have that pull from a Visa or MasterCard debit and you're double protected from a bad seller.

ShaneLight

Reaction score
Hey @Randy I havent figured out yet how to pm on here but do you still have a service to update a 2511 110v bill validator? Ill glady pay. Last updated prior to newest $5. Thank you for your time!