What's new

How to Time in bay functions and Money

Etowah

SuperClean

Reaction score
I would like to buy a computer program or some how make something that would time each selection in the bays as well as how much money came in per bay. I'm sure someone makes something like this or they have done it them selves if you can let me know what the best way to do this is Thanks

JIMT

Reaction score
superclean,
This could be done with a PLC (programmable logic controller). It would require attaching wires from every function of every bay to the PLC. This would be many inputs so the PLC would have to have extra input boards.
A program would have to be written with timers that add up the time for each function. Recording the money is difficult since the coin acceptor is attached to the timer with a difficult voltage. You could record the time the timer is on which can be converted to money. It would be a very large project.
JIMT

sparkey

Reaction score
I have a PLC on my wash that keeps track of all money that I installed myself. The program basically works like explained above. Add up the time the bay runs, then divide by seconds per quarter, add the quarters up and convert to dollars. I went a step farther though keeping track of all automatic bay money and vacuums in the parking lot. I use current transformers on the wires going out of the breaker box to the different vacuums in the parking lot to detect if they are running.

The biggest problem I ran into is sometimes it is difficult to find PLC input cards that work on 24VAC. You rarely see 24VAC control power in industry unless its HVAC systems.

wash4me

Reaction score
ezecontrol

There is a system called eze. It has many of the features of a plc but for much less cost. It also connects to the internet so you can view your information there. It can be set to call, text or email you on alarm. It can be used as an alarm system, weep control, floor heat control. I have it hooked to the automatic and manual bays so if they trip out i get a call 2 seconds later. It can accept analog inputs, pulse inputs, rs485, 4-20 milliamp, modbus etc. I have it hooked to the water meter so I can log on and see how busy we have been (it graphs automatically). This device also has an astronomic timer function for lighting control or a myriad of timer functions for blowing down compressors, cycling glycol pumps every 7 days to keep them from ceasing up over the summer. Really though the best part of the whole thing is they will walk you through hooking it up. (you will have to have some understanding of electrical things) ezesys.com
If You call ask for Anders. 8883939330.

JIMT

Reaction score
I have a PLC on my wash that keeps track of all money that I installed myself. The program basically works like explained above. Add up the time the bay runs, then divide by seconds per quarter, add the quarters up and convert to dollars. I went a step farther though keeping track of all automatic bay money and vacuums in the parking lot. I use current transformers on the wires going out of the breaker box to the different vacuums in the parking lot to detect if they are running.

The biggest problem I ran into is sometimes it is difficult to find PLC input cards that work on 24VAC. You rarely see 24VAC control power in industry unless its HVAC systems.
Sparkey,
I used 24v relays that stack on an aluminum extrusion. 10 of the relays take up about 3" of space. The relays switch 24v DC to the PLC.
JIMT

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
It can be done with a 24volt AC programmable logic relay (PLR) from Siemens or Idec. But it won’t be inexpensive. Each PLR with display costs about $180. You’ll need one PLR for each bay. And, if there are more than 7 functions per bay, 4 point expansion modules are another $80 or so.

The program can “do the math” for you…showing actual dollar and cents values on the device’s display. The function timers can only display full hours and minutes. Both counters and timers can be reset with the push of a button.

Another option is Hobes type electro-mechanical timers and counters…one counter for each bay, and one timer for each bay function. But, at $45 to $50 each, that adds up quickly, too. ($400/bay for 7 functions and coin counter…but no programming required.)

BTW...if function timing isn't an absolute necessity...one PLR can serve as a digital display coin counter for up to 8 bays.