What's new

How to save money and make a efficient car wash?

packerscw

Reaction score
One thing today as wash owners we need to figure out how to cut down on our operating cost, because people just dont have the money anymore to wash there car every other day or once a week. By lowering utilities, labor cost, chemical cost,floor heat,_,_.. you can lower your cost easy and quickly.

1. Switch your lighting--Switch the lights in your bays to CFL bulbs or LED Bulbs, they are some what more expensive to buy up front, but they will pay for themselves in the long run. They are brighter and can last longer.

2. Weep water--In most communities, what has happen is that cities have been raising there water and sewer rates to make more money. Well as wash owners we use a lot of water, A LOT OF WATER. Now we need to use water only when we need to,not just waste it down the drain, and only use it when somebody is paying for it. Install like a polar freeze guard unit. This system takes care of the weep water. No need for wasting water in this day and age because water now a days in some communities is like gold.

3. Trough Heat--Many operators these days weep hot water so they can keep there trough warm while keeping there lines from freezing by weeping. Take care of this by installing a small hot water heater with a circulating pump and getting rid of your weep system as well. This right here will save you a lot in utility cost. NO WASTE OF HOT WATER/NO WASTE OF WATER.

4. Floor Heat--With today's technology they have boiler systems that run at 99.0% efficient. Meaning it may be a little of a cost up front, but in the long run you will save some money. Energy is expensive.

5. Chemicals--Many soap companies have been coming out more and more with economy chemicals that are a LOT less than name brand cost. And can do just as good of a job to the customers car. Today, customers want to leave with a clean car, whether its name brand or not. A clean car keeps the customer happy. No matter what kind of chemicals are flowing through the lines.

I believe that wash operators and owners will begin to figure out that we need to make our car washes more energy efficient. Cause we all know that washing cars is not like it was ten years ago. People are loosing jobs and just plain dont have as much money as they use to.

We all know customers want everything for as cheap as they possibly can get it, so instead of having to raise our prices. Lets lower our operating cost so we can continue to keep the customer happy.

Thanks and I hope this advice will help you.

norton

Reaction score
All good points above. I would also add that you need to train yourself to do as many things as possible that you may have been hiring subcontractors for. This includes equipment repair and maintenance. Learn to do do simple plumbing yourself rather than paying a plumber $80 to $100 dollars per hour. Know how to solder pipe or do your own crimping. Also a good idea to check prices on everything. I used to buy my SS hose locally. The last one I bought I was charged $68 locally but can get the same thing from the car wash catalogs for $14. I can't afford to buy locally at that difference.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
An operator needs to spot check pricing against other sources. I get a few things from local(ish) companies and while I realize they cannot compete 100% on price with catalog companies, their pricing must be in the ballpark.

If you do not check invoices, some gouging can occur. It happened to me; 300% over Kleenrite's price on a single item. I fired the company. They apologized, corrected my bill and I forgave them....until next time!:)

packerscw

Reaction score
All good points above. I would also add that you need to train yourself to do as many things as possible that you may have been hiring subcontractors for. This includes equipment repair and maintenance. Learn to do do simple plumbing yourself rather than paying a plumber $80 to $100 dollars per hour. Know how to solder pipe or do your own crimping. Also a good idea to check prices on everything. I used to buy my SS hose locally. The last one I bought I was charged $68 locally but can get the same thing from the car wash catalogs for $14. I can't afford to buy locally at that difference.
Yes a very good point to make. If you dont know how to work on your own equipment then this will chip away at your profits very quickly.

JustClean

Reaction score
I used to buy my SS hose locally. The last one I bought I was charged $68 locally but can get the same thing from the car wash catalogs for $14. I can't afford to buy locally at that difference.
Hmm...valid point. You are right with that. However, next time this guy might not have the money to wash his car at your place anymore. So you will have to rely on the catalog owner to come by...;)
Usually (depending on the amount) if it's up to 20% more expensive to buy it locally, I still buy it.