What's new

How to Handle This Situation?

TEEBOX

Reaction score
I have a customer (I hope she still a customer after this!) that went through our wash. One of the blower\dryer Aluminum Housing cracked and fell on her vehicle and damaged it.

I assured her that I am responsible for damage and will take care of it. I made an incident report and gave her a copy.

I instructed her that I have a local collision shop that I deal with that will work with her and there would be no out of pocket expense.

It's a 2014 Caddy!

She did not go to my shop but went to the Cadillac dealership! I asked if she got a second estimate from my shop and she said no!

I'm explained to her that I personally always get at least 2-3 estimates. She said no I will not be satisfied unless its with the Cadillac Body Shop.

I'm aware that she is mad about the incident but not more than me.

Should I just get it done with the dealership collision shop because its the right thing to do in her mind, or still have her get another estimate?

I faxed over to my collision shop her estimate and they assured me that he can save me at the very least $500. Total Estimate from Cadillac Body Shop $1629.00 Parts $356.00 rest is labor!

Is it worth the headache to argue?

Haven't dealt with this kind of opposition in the past! Usually customer is cooperative.

BBE

Reaction score
Is there anything in your incident report that she signed that specifies whether the customer gets to choose who handles the repairs or you the owner chooses who handles repairs at your expense?

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
Since this incident was clearly your fault, you should just let her go to the repair shop of her choice. If you fight over this issue with her, it could cost you more than $500 in reputation.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I agree, suck it up a pay. If it was a huge amount of difference, argue maybe, but damaging a Caddy and getting out of it for that amt. is a win.

My IBA once tore a mirror off an Escalade. The woman was a pleasure to deal with and said her husband could install it if I bought the mirror, even a used one. I couldn't get on the web fast enough to find her one, the right color to boot! I tore a mirror of a Cadillac and got out of it for $175...woohoo!!!

TEEBOX

Reaction score
Since this incident was clearly your fault, you should just let her go to the repair shop of her choice. If you fight over this issue with her, it could cost you more than $500 in reputation.[/QUOTE

" We take your claim seriously! This form is for informational purposes only and is not an admission of responsibility. We will be in contact with you within 2 business days to set up a meeting at the carwash to evaluate the damage claim."

Rest of the stuff is just information of vehicle and time of incident!

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
That is a huge price differential for a repair of that amount. I agree that you should probably just pay up but I would call the Cadillac dealership first to verify the estimate and see if they might cut you some slack or make a deal with you on washes to reduce the cost.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
For a variety of reasons Dealers probably Charge the highest price around. IMO you are not required to hand out Blank checks.

I would tell her that since the vehicle can be repaired according to your estimate for $500 less the equitable thing is to "Split the Difference" and give her a check for $250.00 less than her estimate and she can get it repaired at the dealer or anyone else.

Had a situation once where a 10 year old Acura rear window broke because the top brush grabbed the wiper. Called the glass shop I used and they said to have them come over and they would put in a new window right away. My cost was $600. Customer asked if it was a new window. I said I did not know, but the car was 10 years old so what difference did it make. They insisted on new and took it to the dealer and their insurance came after me for about $3000. Went to trail. Brought the guy from the Glass place to testify. Judge said; "I am going to dispense some street justice and awarded about $1500.00.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Going to trial, especially a small claims court, seldom turns out well even if you are obviously in the right. For that reason we rarely let it go that far unless the claim was so outrageous.

Randy

Reaction score
Just pay the $1629.00 and be done with it. You’ll probably never see her again, at least that’s been our experience, they say they’ll come back but they never do.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
The outrageous have been the State Farm subrogation claims. Sometimes I think it's easier for the subro attorney to tell the company the judge ruled against them than negotiate a reasonable solution. I have decided to take a hard line with them and certain other carriers to let them know I won't roll over for them. However the incidence is so infrequent and the lawyers so plentiful I doubt any realize what the history has been. Still I got great satisfaction when I won and they had to pay my filing fees.

The last one, the Lawyer asked for my card because he said he might want to retain me as an expert, and I am thinking "Only if it's to help the car wash guy."

RAATCB

Reaction score
How did the blower fall off? Did it crack from the weld? I have seen many blowers welded on a base which is not strong enough as time and age goes by. Especially from all the motor vibration start ups.

TEEBOX

Reaction score
Yes, it did crack from the weld. The fan blades inside had to hit the interior of housing pretty hard. The funny part was the pieces fell on the vehicle hood however the larger pieces hit the front bumper and cracked the proximity sensor in it. That sensor alone is about $200.

washnvac

Reaction score
I would let her repair shop do it. Once you have authorized the repair at the facility they chose, you are out of the equation. If there are any issues with their chosen body shop, then the customer can take care of them. I do not think saving maybe $500 is worth the hassle. It may only create an ongoing issue for you.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i pay big $ for insurance just so i do not have to worry about things like this.

let your insurance agent handle it.

TEEBOX

Reaction score
We can all agree that we all pay big dollars for insurance. However, the customer decided to speak to my collision shop and was very pleased with his presentation. Therefore she decided to have the repairs done at the local shop.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
We were always reluctant to have a customer contact my insurance company unless it was a large claim. Usually you have to pay a deductible (we had a $500 deductible at the time, not sure what is best in today's market) and will eventually see an increase in your premium. Sounds like your customer decided to do as you suggested. We used to deal with two shops that we felt did good work for a reasonable price. The reason for two was that sometimes one was too busy to handle the work and we liked to get comparable estimates. Generally we found that the quality of dealerships' work varied quite a bit and their estimates were always high.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
We were always reluctant to have a customer contact my insurance company unless it was a large claim. Usually you have to pay a deductible (we had a $500 deductible at the time, not sure what is best in today's market) and will eventually see an increase in your premium. .
I agree. ...

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
When I worked for Wash Depot, I had a customer with a luxury vehicle and she complained of an odor left in her car after express carpet shampoo.

We tried everything to satisfy her.

Then she took the vehicle to dealership and service manager said we spilled solvent in her carpet.

We could not even smell an odor or see a stain mark. We also did nothing more to mitigate the problem.

It escalated to regional manager, my boss at that time, Pete Nani.

Pete came to the site and we had pow-wow with customer.

Pete didn’t even look inside the car. He simply turned and looked at me and then told the customer, I will replace your entire car if that is what it takes to make you satisfied.

I learned a very good lesson that day. The customer wanted me to take of the problem, not my assistants, supervisors or staff.

So, I believe the dealership would be a good solution.

cdreed06

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I agree with most on here to suck up the extra dough and go with her chosen shop. If it were my car I would want what I think is the best.