What's new

How to fix the BCS

BayWatch

Jedi apprentice
Reaction score
Due to the fact that it was raining most of today and I am not happy with the current way, I have decided to solve the biggest problem our nation currently faces... the BCS. I have come up with the following:

16-team playoff

There are currently 34 bowl games, 16 of which pay out 1 million dollars or more, but we only need 15, so everyone ups the amount in sealed bids, lowest loses out. Bowls set.

All teams most join a conference. The BCS guarantees $$$ to ND right now, sorry but that isnt working out well, they must join along with Army and Navy.
That gives us 11 conferences.

All conferences must have a championship game, by either a division vs division or top two teams. In the event of any ties, like the OU/UT/TT mess, head to head will be used, followed by 5 year graduation rates. This is still college! All conference champs make playoffs. Thats 11 of 16.

Continue the current BCS poll and date/week that is comes out. After the conference championship games a final poll is released. The top 5 teams that did not qualify due to winning conf championship will make playoffs. That makes 16 teams.

Most teams will play a 12 game regular season schedule this year. It will be cut to 11. This will give the student athletes two "off" weeks during the season.

BayWatch

Jedi apprentice
Reaction score
Continued

If you apply this to this season's calendar:

Regular season starts 9/30 and ends 11/22
Conference championships on 11/27, 11/28 & 11/29 (Thanksgiving weekend!)
Additional off week for finals(still college) 12/6
Playoffs 12/13 thru 12/27
National Championship 1/3/09

This scenario gives conferences and schools outside the BCS a better chance of winning a championship, which would help increase recruiting in order to do so. The playoff bowls will be chosen before the season(s) starts and will rotate every year thru a "lottery system". They will also be setup regionally, I cant pay to go the FL every **** year. The longer playoff system might seem grueling on the student athletes, but that is why there are two off weeks during the regular season and an additional off week before the playoffs. Playoffs during Christmas? got to be committed to winning! Also no D1 school can schedule a D2 after the first week of the regular season. That is just stupid any way you look at it.

Hopefully this adds up and makes sense. If you are as tired of the current system, please, send this to every one you know. I am not a member of any other forums, just this one, washing cars is a time consuming thing.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I am not sure you need 16 teams in the playoffs. I think 8 would work fine and reduce the number of weeks needed for the playoffs. Then the Championship game could be held on New Years. I think that most of the teams not currently in a conference have done so at their discretion and would fight the idea of joining one. ND currently has a huge TV contract that I doubt they would want to share. I would also like to see all conferences have playoffs but I think there would be a lot of resistance on the part of those not currently having one.

I am also fond of the idea of holding the Championship game the Saturday of Super Bowl weekend to make that weekend an unbelievable one for football nuts. The main criticism of that I have heard for this is that it would be too long in between the playoffs and the Championship game. Let's face it. With the revenues involved there is little difference between pro and college ball except for the amateur status of the players.

I have a feeling that all this is simply an exercise in futility since it seems that the powers that be in the BCS do not seem inclined at this point to consider any playoff plan.