What's new

How to find Employees

Rudy

Reaction score
It's been 12+ years since I've needed to hire anybody. I've been blessed, to have 3 retired gentlemen help fix and open/close the wash for me.

Well....after all these years, I need to find a guy or two. I need ideas where to look.

The only idea I have, is to go to the local school, and ask if any part time bus drivers are looking for more work.

Any other ideas on how to recruit?

MEP001

Reaction score
That sounds like a good potential resource. The next best thing might be an ad in the newspaper.

water guy

Reaction score
Sometimes the little local churchs.Have bulletin boards where you can post stuff like that.

MEP001

Reaction score
I had a flip phone until I had to switch to a smart phone, even been thinking about getting the new Motorola Razr but I like not having to charge mine but once a week.

Msaxonii

Reaction score
You might try contacting a Vet Center if there's one in your area or VA Vocational Services.

Possibly check if you could qualify for any tax benefits for hiring vets or disabled.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I got some leads via a nextdoor post. Its kinda like facebook, but you're grouped with people in your area instead of friends. I felt like I needed to recruit people in the immediate area or they would eventually tire of the drive.

Ive got my best employee ever when he rode up on a bicycle. I initially thought he might be looking for trouble, but it turns out he recently retired from an electrical supply house and was bored sitting home. Hes got a better work ethic than I do, that's for sure.

APW

Reaction score
I have two guys that are custodians that help me when they get off from their regular job. They do a great job. I would check with your local school system.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I have a 10' digital sign that I advertise on and get a ton of people inquiring who live close by. I feel that finding people close is important. I like your idea of asking the bus drivers. Find a way to advertise on site.

Etowah

MEP001

Reaction score
Ive got my best employee ever when he rode up on a bicycle. I initially thought he might be looking for trouble, but it turns out he recently retired from an electrical supply house and was bored sitting home. Hes got a better work ethic than I do, that's for sure.
I had someone ride up to me recently and ask for work, he looked homeless but he was very well-spoken, personable, and polite. I probably should have hired him. I know of a few others that have found good helpers the same way.

washnshine

Reaction score
Go to your Lowe’s or Home Depot and ask one of the many retired gents in the plumbing or electrical aisle for some help with something. If they put forth some effort and have a good demeanor, say”I own a car wash and .. .”

These companies only hire many of their employees part time, so there is a good chance someone will want more hours. Also might find someone with some practical knowledge that can be put to use around the wash.