What's new

How to find a good manager

mac

Reaction score
So I've tried Craig's list with no real luck. Do any of you know where I can advertise for an experienced service manager?

mac

Reaction score
You would think that with the temps getting cooler up north there would be someone looking to go south.

RAATCB

Reaction score
Service Manager for Full Serve Wash? Express? Self Serve? Please be more specific.

RAATCB

Reaction score
It's very hard finding an experienced "manager". Sometimes it's better training a loyal trustable employee for those tasks. Most experienced managers already have a job and the ones that are looking might be bad apples and that's why they are not employed.

mac

Reaction score
Looking for someone to take over the service department. It's hard enough to just find a good tech much less someone that can manage them and turn a profit.

RAATCB

Reaction score
Train your best tech for that position. Trust!

RAATCB

Reaction score
It's very rare to find a manager with leadership skills that will guide your crew and turn a good profit. When you do find someone good, make sure to base their pay by company earnings and a decent salary.

Example: Lets say a good manager makes around 1,200 weekly. Try to have his salary pay $700 and say 2.5% of total gross sales per week. Lets say if you did 15k of business, you times that by 2.5% and that will be the remaining incentive/bonus. It keeps your manager always trying to produce more income for you and more $ for him.

You have to figure out your business and what works to keep your employees motivated and happy.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
It's very rare to find a manager with leadership skills that will guide your crew and turn a good profit. When you do find someone good, make sure to base their pay by company earnings and a decent salary.

Example: Lets say a good manager makes around 1,200 weekly. Try to have his salary pay $700 and say 2.5% of total gross sales per week. Lets say if you did 15k of business, you times that by 2.5% and that will be the remaining incentive/bonus. It keeps your manager always trying to produce more income for you and more $ for him.

You have to figure out your business and what works to keep your employees motivated and happy.
Might the possibility of "overselling" by your manager come back and bite you?...word amongst operators spreads.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Mac,

Have you ever considered trying to recruit someone from auto dealership?

For example, a customer service advisor that has been at it for several years will usually have excellent communication, customer service, organizational and selling skills as well as comprehension of technical issues.

There is a lot of burn out so maybe you can find someone interested in learning a new game.

For example, if I were hiring general manager for wash today, I would probably recruit from convenience store, hotel and fast food.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Mac,

I have friend in the business and he suggested contacting Fred Torg at Auto Trader or 360 Dealer Solutions for recruitment assistance.

mac

Reaction score
Bob thanks for the tip. I have been nervous about getting someone without car wash repair knowledge, but I'm beginning to think they are like garden elves.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
It’s funny you said that.

I’ve found it impossible to get detailers to do express detail work. Why is because most detailers are prima donnas and look down on express as beneath them.

I believe the move upward from line worker to supervision to management is easier with carwash operations than technical support because of the nature of the work.

Many carwash workers and managers spend lots of time kissing ass all day while technicians are wrenching all day.

During my involvement with auto dealerships, I found most of the best service managers and service advisers were never car mechanics.

They excelled in managing employees and customers and selling.

Yes, in-bay and tunnel are very technical like modern car but unless the service manager has to be hands-on, I would rather have someone with strong skills in areas I mentioned in earlier post.

twerkinatthecarwash

Reaction score
Not really a tip on what to look for in a new hire, but the website www.indeed.com has brought a LOT of applicants in for my wash. I recently found out about it and posted on there and within a week I had 50 people interested, granted, only a handful were even worth my time, but that's still a handful that I wouldn't have had otherwise.