What's new

How to add wax/sealant

area123

Reaction score
I've read that wax or sealant is a good revenue booster. This 3 bay SS already has the system for presoak and tire cleaner and the current owner told me we'd just need another wall tank to add wax. So do we just need another stainless wall tank with a float and solenoid similar to how he already has the presoak and tire cleaner? And another sticker for the bay selector I think and connect everything? Or is there a separate wax system you have to buy?

I know, I have tons to learn. We don't start operating it ourselves until March probably.

Thanks

slash007

Reaction score
Just another setup just like your pre-soak will work. That is what I have. 3 tanks side by side, one for wax, one pre-soak and another for foam brush.

area123

Reaction score
Ok thanks!

Can you give details of setup like what kind of solenoids and how to add to the selector in the bay? Does it add much to your revenue?

MEP001

Reaction score
It might be simpler to add a high-pressure wax function if you don't already have one. You'd just need a tank, solenoid and a tee at each pump where the soap goes in now.

area123

Reaction score
It might be simpler to add a high-pressure wax function if you don't already have one. You'd just need a tank, solenoid and a tee at each pump where the soap goes in now.
Well he does have low pressure pre-soak and brush soap. They are using wall mount stainless tanks with floats in them. I assume that uses compressed air to operate. I asked the current owner and he said we'd just need another tank to set it up, but I"m sure we need solenoids, etc.

I'll just have to get in there and look again before we buy anything.

Which one is preferable? High or low pressure? And what kind of wax is best?

Thanks!

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I think your getting way ahead of yourself. If your dead set on getting this wash, finalize the deal and run it for a bit to get your feet wet. Then when you want to add something or need help, do some research first...The search feature is your friend. Chances are there are no "Floats" in the mix tanks? I'm guessing what you are looking at are the Hydrominders. Its what proportions the chemicals with water....

Here are a few pictures for you to ponder. My mix tanks and soap and wax feeds into the high pressure pump. I use Kip stainless steel solenoids.

MEP001

Reaction score
Well he does have low pressure pre-soak and brush soap. They are using wall mount stainless tanks with floats in them. I assume that uses compressed air to operate. I asked the current owner and he said we'd just need another tank to set it up, but I"m sure we need solenoids, etc.

I'll just have to get in there and look again before we buy anything.

Which one is preferable? High or low pressure? And what kind of wax is best?

Thanks!
Yes, you'd need solenoids, and if it's running low-pressure you'd need tubing to the bays.

I'd rather offer wax at high-pressure, mainly because that's what everyone around here does. You might do just as well if you introduce it at low-pressure, I don't really know. One local guy builds his with low-pressure, but he sets it too low and uses too much air in my opinion and it takes longer to apply.

There are all sorts of waxes, a lot don't do anything but make the water bead, some add a level of protection, most aren't "wax" at all. I use a silicone-carnauba wax which is very affordable to run at high-pressure.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I run mine as a high pressure option. Just look how your HP soap is delivered and copy that setup.

However, as others suggest, just buy the wash and run it for awhile. Don't add anything and don't listen to the current owner on what should be added as he's just trying to keep you focused on what can be done. You want to focus on current condition so you can negotiate the best price for you.

Etowah