What's new

How Safe Is A Lock?

mrfixit

Reaction score
Lol, awesome, well the secrets out now.. I think he's just getting the cams to drop back and free the latch by tapping on it.

Funny we have this door handle lock that is supposed to be really secure. Yeah it's hard to pick or duplicate the key... But I can break in within 3 seconds with a credit card. Lol. Dead bolts only..

Last edited:

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Just for sh*its and giggles I tried this at Home Depot tonight Holy Chit it worked! and the messed up part was I had to buy the lock afterwards.

JustaGuy

Reaction score
This is a bit scary. Wonder if it works with other types of locks.
You'd be surprised how easy it is to open most pad- or combination- locks. Google "open lock with pop can" or "lock bumping" for just a couple of examples.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
FWIW it seems most thieves that hit my place use brute force or cordless power tools. If I had a choice I'd like the guys with some sense better than the brute force guys because those guys typically cause more of a loss from damage than from the $ they get.

We only have the discus or Hockey Puck type locks. Many enclosed in a fashion which makes them slightly harder to access.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
When I think of these locks I remember the commercial where they shot it with a high powered rifle and it stayed locked. Guess they aren't that foolproof as they may advertise.

MEP001

Reaction score
Relying on something like a MasterLock to protect your money is like relying on your dog to protect your steak on the dinner table.

Edie011

Reaction score
Do not buy master locks If you care about anything you own!! I have "picked" up a new hobby, lock-picking, and let me tell you master locks are the absolute easiest to pick open!! They are equally comparable to the "no name dollar store locks". "American" brand locks are a really good lock for the money, in my opinion as a rookie locksmith they are the minimum level of security you should have!

JustClean

Reaction score
Put up signs everywhere:
"This carwash is protected by a security smoke screen. If you should get in contact with this smoke call us IMMEDIATELY on [number] for further instructions."

It worked at least once at our place when crooks didn't break in because of the sign.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
You can drill out a NO.5 or whatever master lock in about 2mins with a 3/8 drill bit right into the brass tumblers if you can't access to pull or tap a hammer. I buy American or RAI locks only Bc of this. It's a Dam shame a working man has to lock up everything what little he has anyways.