What's new

How much water do you weep?

Tpoppa

Reaction score
How do you determine how much water to weep? Are you setting water pressure, GPM, etc...

I haven't had any freeze ups yet this year, and I am wondering if I could reduce my weep and still be OK.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I am usually 40-45 psi...

It's overkill for the bays close to the equipment room, but I need to have it up that high to ensure I will reach the farthest of my 8 bays.

Kirb

Reaction score
I weep 30psi to 15 degrees and raise it to 45psi on colder days for a 5-bay.

Eric H

Reaction score
I've always used 12 oz a minute as a rule. I just use a 12 oz soda can and make sure it can fill the can in about a minute. It sounds like a lot of water but with the weepmizer it is generally only on about half the time. It is cheap insurance running a little bit of extra water to prevent a freeze up. I haven't had one in over 2 years.

MEP001

Reaction score
It doesn't usually get severely cold here; a slow trickle when it's 25° is usually enough to keep from freezing. The last few nights it has dropped below 20°, and I opened the weep valves full at 65 PSI just to be on the safe side. Nothing froze.

Tpoppa

Reaction score
I've always used 12 oz a minute as a rule. I just use a 12 oz soda can and make sure it can fill the can in about a minute. It sounds like a lot of water but with the weepmizer it is generally only on about half the time. It is cheap insurance running a little bit of extra water to prevent a freeze up. I haven't had one in over 2 years.
So your flow rate is 12 oz/min if the weep was running 100% of the time, correct?

Are you controlling by psi, or do you have a valve for each line?

Eric H

Reaction score
Are you controlling by psi, or do you have a valve for each line?
I have needle valves for each bay and FB. I do not have pressure gauge on each line so I have no idea what psi is going to each bay. 12 oz keeps me safe to at least 0*. It is 10* here at my house right now (6 am).
The 12 oz figure came from my old distributor who had been in the business since the 60's.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I used a weep miser and a needle values & flow meters, that way you can adjust the outer bays better for distance. I don't remember what the flow was but it was city water pressure, which was about 60-80psi

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
12 oz bottle in a minute is pretty close to what I do. At one location I have flow meters on each bays weep and I run them between 6 and 8 gallons per hour. I converted 12 oz per minute to gph and it is 5.625 gallons per hour.

As a side note I did have a freeze up, but the problem was a leaking air solenoid on the tire cleaner so the weep was in essence being injected with air and slowed the weep enough to freeze that bay.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Another thing that can happen is a small piece of debris plugs the tip, and you will freeze up.

Red Baron

Reaction score
Oh, it depends. If I'm watching Tombstone, the part where Morgan Earp gets shot in the back always gets to me a little. Sometimes if jets fly over at the end of the National Anthem it's enough that I might need a tissue. Other than that, I do ok.

Thanks for asking.