What's new

How much volume per linear ft. in 3/8" hose?

MEP001

Reaction score
Yes, the radius of a circle is measured from the center to the edge. Diameter is across the widest point of the circle.

Twodose

Reaction score
Mac was right and anyone who came close to his # was also right. I couldn't figure out why he was using 3/16, Radius is 1/2 the diameter, I get it now. Just using ¾ oz per ft. would have said enough, that you don’t even need a gallon for an 85 ft. run.

Anything is simple if you know it. In my original post I asked for a chart for good reason. LOL :D Thanks to everyone who posted.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be 3/16 squared x pi? 3/16 = .1875 x .1875 x 3.141? It's too many years of killing braincells to know for sure. I'd fill it and measure it. I'd think that close would be good enough, we aren't going to the moon here.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Experience tools etc

On a previous post I was not clear enough. I failed to mention with that specific post that I was verifying using a 3/8"square & elongating it Twodose's 85.5' ---- would explain the slightly more amount of fluid.

This thread reminds me of a few years back when we repaired the oldest part of our concrete parking lot ourselves. We rented a cement saw & a jack hammer & took out sections of concrete that needed replacing. We had to come up with a way of figuring out the volume of concrete mix from each non rectangular section & divide it into more than one pour because we wanted only a limited area of our parking lot down at any one time waiting for the new finished concrete to dry & cure properly before driven on. Customers hardly notice the patches & the lot should function well for decades more.

These irregular shapes to take out the bad areas of concrete had to be measured at every meandering polygon boundary. Then from the many dimensions of each edge of the boundary on the sketches of each removed sections I redrew the shapes & added the 5 inch depth on the CAD program. It turned out we had almost no waste because of the accuracy of the volume calculations ability that the CAD software program had. If you are wondering --- it was AutoCAD software that I used but other software programs might work also. Keep in mind at the time all the concrete contractors in our area were really backlogged & it was very unlikely they would be willing to take that kind of penny pinching extra labor approach.

I am wondering if there are any other operators, manufacturers, or distributors on this forum who have messed with some type of CAD software besides myself over the years?

MJ

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
I am wondering if there are any other operators, manufacturers, or distributors on this forum who have messed with some type of CAD software besides myself over the years?

MJ
Many years ago, fresh out of college, I was a desing engineer on the Stealth Bomber. It was the first aircraft totally designed on computer (CAD) and not paper. I am (was) very familiar with CAD. Used AutoCad for many years after that.

BTW, pie are round, not square:)

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I was actually going for the prize for getting those guys away from multiplying the diameter instead of the radius.

I wonder if a HP hose grows a little after it's been under pressure?
Pat,

Good point ---- there is probably some swelling going on inside that hose as it is pressurized. Your assignment is to measure how much swelling actually occurs at the precise pressure.

Yes Mr I.B. Washincars, you deserve an award too! Bill ---- could you arrange that!

Do think if I got out my coloring crayons --- I might be able to convey what a "meandering polygon boundary" is?

When I had some sheet metal work done here locally because of the higher cost involved --- I had to go to higher management of the mechanical contractor firm ---- the upper management guy looked at my drawings & my feeble cardboard model & I could tell he was struggling. To make a long story short I said "let's go back to see the guy who made other things for me out on the shop floor" Right away within seconds "Mike" the guy in the back room pointed confidently here & there on my miniatures & "Mr. Upper" shook his head & finally went along with it without overbidding too horribly.

MJ

MEP001

Reaction score
mjwalsh said:
there is probably some swelling going on inside that hose as it is pressurized.
There is almost no expansion at all of steel braided hose under pressure. The evidence is with the almost complete lack of water that comes out of the wand when the pump is turned off. Thermoplastic expands, but the additional volume is minimal. In any case, Twodose only needs this data to purge the line with antifreeze. The information he needs is whether the hose erodes internally or is permanently expanded from the pressure.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
There is almost no expansion at all of steel braided hose under pressure. The evidence is with the almost complete lack of water that comes out of the wand when the pump is turned off. Thermoplastic expands, but the additional volume is minimal. In any case, Twodose only needs this data to purge the line with antifreeze. The information he needs is whether the hose erodes internally or is permanently expanded from the pressure.
Mep007,

I agree --- good observations---- those were my thoughts also. Pat did raise a good question & in the end it does turn out all those heavy measurements that I unfairly suggested of him won't be needed ---- as he has better things to focus in on --- like the "Christmas Spirit" etc.

MJ

MEP001

Reaction score
I finally remembered to test new hose, and here are the results:

A 14'4" GoodYear Neptune hose held about 12 3/4 ozs, or about .89 ozs per foot, slightly less than the used piece that held .94 ozs per foot.

A 21' piece of Synflex® 100R7 thermoplastic hose held about 18 1/2 ozs, or .88 ozs per foot. Whether it becomes eroded or expanded over time I don't know, but I have a section to replace that has a pinhole leak and I'll check it when I take it down.

Etowah