What's new

How much protection do the clearcoat/surface protectants offer?

bcwang

Reaction score
Lets say a scenario where a user buys a new car, and it sits in the sun 24x7 parked outside, never hand waxed.

Lets say they wash their car every week or two in an automatic, and get the clearcoat sealant or surface sealant (rain-x, rainshield, lustra shield, etc..) applied every month or so. Could this completely replace hand waxing and maintain their finish to be shiny 5-10 years later simply following this routine? Would it provide protection for their finish that a regular waxing would, preventing fading and oxidation?

Likely one of you here have done exactly that kind of routine on your own car for years and can comment about how well that would work for maintaining a finish long term.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I almost fit the mold.

I bought a new Dodge PU back in '99. It was waxed when it was 3 or 4 months old after it got covered with tar and once about a year later. It was never waxed again other than what my car washes sprayed on it. It stayed outside 24/7. I sold it last June after tallying 256,000 miles on the odometer. Many that looked at the truck were amazed that it had so many miles since it looked so good. Did it look new...no, but it still looked pretty darn good. I'll probably never wax another daily driver, the car wash suits me just fine.

I bought a new F-250 last May. Of course I haven't waxed it and probably never will. Check back in a few years and we'll see how it did.

Red Baron

Reaction score
I bought a new Dodge PU back in '99. It was waxed when it was 3 or 4 months old after it got covered with tar and once about a year later. It was never waxed again other than what my car washes sprayed on it. It stayed outside 24/7. I sold it last June after tallying 256,000 miles on the odometer. Many that looked at the truck were amazed that it had so many miles since it looked so good. Did it look new...no, but it still looked pretty darn good. I'll probably never wax another daily driver, the car wash suits me just fine.

I bought a new F-250 last May. Of course I haven't waxed it and probably never will. Check back in a few years and we'll see how it did.
I did a radio interview where I explained that my '07 Powerstroke could be seen in front of the car wash many times as customer drove by, and that it's been through my D&S 5000 at least 300 times. It looks shiny as new and not one scratch except the lone shopping cart ding from Home Lowes. Not bad for 135,000 miles.

Red Baron

Reaction score
Woah, that is a lot of miles for 2 years, really a lot. Engine still feel as good as new?
Actually it's a been slower than usual. For the last 28 years with the family business I've driven 70,000-110,000 miles per year and wore out a lot of pickups. The oil change place sometimes makes fun of me:
Oilguy: Hey you were just in here last week.
Me: I know, that was 3,000 miles ago.

Yeah my Powerstroke engine still runs good, knock on wood(en leg). The interior is always a mess but the outiside looks good. And, just that 1 minor ding...I always park out at the edge of the parking lot, or behind and downhill from the shopping cart return racks to reduce the chance of dings. It annoys me no end when I go to that effort, come out to leave, and find a pretty much empty parking lot, and one idiot went out of his way to park 10" from me!

bigleo48

Reaction score
I have never hand waxed my 04 Dodge. It gets washed once or twice a week at my carwash and still looks like new. And it's no garage princess as I plow snow, tow my toys, haul garbage, hockey gear, etc.

BigLeo

Danny

Reaction score
135,000 on a diesel is just getting broke in. With regular maintenance it has another 2-300,000 in it, but the way you drive that might only be 2yrs away! I have a customer that hand washes his personal vehicle EVERY morning 7am. Looks perfect.

Chiefs

Reaction score
Sure, an application of clear coat protectant that costs an operator $1-2 put on every week and rinsed off before you leave will keep just as good a shine on a vehicle and give as much protectant as a three step detail job once a year. BTW, I've got a bridge to sell you.

No product used in an automatic car wash is going to remove tar, and tree sap, all roadfilm, and the effects of heat and the sun on a vehicle's finish like a full detail. Will regular washing and the application of these on-line products keep your vehicle looking good, yes of course. But, given all of the environmental and man-made contaminants that build up on the finish, it cannot possibly look as good or feel as smooth as it did the day you drove it off the dealer's lot. They help but are by no means a substitute for annual detailing.

And, no I don't detail cars professionally, just wash cars.