What's new

How much oil does a cat310 hold?

A.Milton

Reaction score
My circle with the red dot is impossible to read. Is there a way to take it off and clean the circle? But in the mean time does anyone have an amount that I can go by. This might help reading the circle and watching for some type of reading on circle if someone had an amount to start with.

A.Milton

Reaction score
Thank you 2Biz...I have a printout for the cat 310 but did not find oil capacity. I may have overlooked it in frustration. Oil in oil out, looking for a bubble or something. Definitely replacing this part, very frustrating.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my Cat 310's. Cloudy sight glasses and couldn't tell how full they were. I'm sure I had overfilled a few of them because of this. So I Drained the oil, took out the sight glasses, cleaned them, and put them back in. Maybe this will work for you?

MEP001

Reaction score
Sometimes the sight glass gets fogged from water in the oil. That's a really good reason to take it out and clean it, because if it fogs up again you know you have a water issue you need to take care of. I've also seen them fog up because the pump crankcase got too hot.

A.Milton

Reaction score
mEP...it's not moisture or fog...it is years of oil causing stain to the point unreadable...but if it was moisture would this be moisture from pump heating up causing slight moisture inside or is there a way water was getting into crankcase?

MEP001

Reaction score
Water can get into the crankcase if the seals on the plunger bolts fail, sometimes while hardly dripping at all.

It's not oil staining that makes them get cloudy, it's either from a solvent of some kind or from the crankcase getting extremely hot. We had an employee who would sometimes leave one of the washdown switches on and it would completely melt everything rubber or plastic in the pump head and sometimes get the crankcase hot enough to turn the sight glass white.