What's new

How much are you paying for mud removal?

carwashK1DD

Reaction score
so im just trying to wrap my head around the costs of mud removal from troughs, open bay pits, and oil seperator tanks. How big are your pits? ( aprox. sq ft/ W x H x D), how many bays do you have? how many oil seperator tanks do you have? how often must they be cleaned out? and finally.....what is your final cost after everything is said and done?

cebo

Reaction score
I pay $400 to pump 6 3x6x4 pits. I don't have an oil separator just runs from the bays to the sewer. We pump 4-6 times a year depending on the weather.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Cebo - I think you're getting a great deal. Must be someone who does it on the side and has a lot of time on hand. I have my own ring-o-matic vac system to do my own. I do others for $159-$250 per pit depending on size. Of course, a vac system completely cleans out the pit versus what a clam shell bucket does. There's pros and cons to both methods.

Reds

Reaction score
I have been getting it in the butt for a long time. I have 2 IBA's and 2 SS bays. We (me and my sons) used to dig it out with a handiclam. But the boys are off working full time jobs and my health now hinders me from hard work. So the local septic guy was wacking me $1000. per 500 gal. tank to pump the loose muck and then get out the hard "cake" that was a foot deep in the bottom. Now there isa lot of natural gas activity around here so I found an oilfield services company with big powerfull vac trucks. I now costs me $90 an hour for 2 men and a vac truck. They did all of my pits, right to the bottom, in 10 hours. That's $900 total. My pits are 6' deep. The septic guy hauled the mud away. The gas guys dump it in a "clean fill wanted" spot, which is where I have dumped it for years. Looking at the gook that comes out of the pits there is no oil. Just thick stinky muck.

Dcalhoun

Reaction score
We use the local Roto-Rooter guy. The charges work out to be $56.25 per pit. Our pits are small, 2'W x 4'L x 3' Deep. And we clean them 3 times a year usually.

SSadmiral

Young buck
Reaction score
I pay $800 mol for 6 pits 3 x 6 x 4 and 3 - 1500 gal holding tanks vac'd out and do it annually. Here in Fl it's considered hazardous materials and only 2 or 3 companies are qualified by the state to handle and dispose. I'm required to keep and show upon request(EPA) the chain of custody I believe they call it. Major PIA

cebo

Reaction score
Yes I'm getting a good deal. That's the main reason I haven't bought a ring o matic. I know some states consider it hazardous but its nothing really more than sand and mud. We can dump basically anywhere. I'm about to buy another wash and live on 50 acres where I have plenty of places to dump so a pit cleaner may be more economically feasible soon.

cebo

Reaction score
Not done on the side. This is family that lives not far from me that has a septic / site contracting business. One of the owner's kids has his own truck and its the only one in the county that has a large opening that will dump the mud. They have plenty of places to dump, its an old truck, and he may need some drug money. haha. But they suck them dry for the $400.

Rudy

Reaction score
My wash is in a major metropolitan city. I have the pits pumped every other year, and the last time they were done....it cost me $1250 for my 3/2.

There's no way around it.

The biggest threat.....the chain of custody. You can have your pits "pumped"....but if the contractor doesn't dispose of it correctly....it"s YOU (not them) who is on the hook. If they dump it into a stream....guess who gets sued for the environmental damage????

I'm not sure that your insurance would even protect you in that case.

Ugh. I factor it all into "the cost of doing business". That's why my prices go up in a month.

MEP001

Reaction score
We were paying about $3000 each time they were pumped, which was about once a year - they made a better deal and come by twice a year on their schedule for $2500/year.

They supply us with copies of permits and receipts that make us not liable once they leave the property with the mud.

washnvac

Reaction score
$550 per pull for bay pits only (about 200 gallons each). Additional $250 per large tank pump out. (I have a 1500/1000/1000) 6-bay wash; done 4 times per year. I do one big tank per year.