What's new

How many guys have 2 IBA's?

soonermajic

Reaction score
We have 2 M.I.B locations, with each having one Autec friction AES 425 and a Oasis XP touchfree. There are benefits of both and a strong customer base for both. We want to provide our customers with a choice.
what is M.I.B.?

MEP001

Reaction score
This is a great thread and I am not trying to derail it. I have always wondered (what’s the number of cars you need to be washing a month consistently year round to support adding another automatic). I have asked so many people and it seems like nobody can answer it directly is it 1,000 1,600 or 2,000+? Does anybody have a solid answer on that and how much will the second one wash typically. Thank you. Thomas.
I don't think there's a direct answer. I'm sure if you have a really fast machine and short lines with little to no people leaving, then you don't need a second machine. If you're turning away lots of cars you would benefit from a second one. Car counts don't matter when there are so many other variables.

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
That Washworld Profile Max wash was painfully slow and that had a drive through sealer arch and spot free arch.

soapy

Reaction score
I have built 3 locations where I started out with 1 IBA and made provisions to easily add another IBA when demand warranted. IMO you need at least 1500 cars per IBA before you start to think about adding a second IBA. When I added the second auto the first year I washed about 50% more cars in the first year and it slowly built up to double the original amount within 5 years. If you did a 5 year lease on the second IBA your payments would be around $3k. You have to decide if you are going to wash enough more cars to offset the added expense. 750 cars at a average of $6 each would about break it even.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
I have built 3 locations where I started out with 1 IBA and made provisions to easily add another IBA when demand warranted. IMO you need at least 1500 cars per IBA before you start to think about adding a second IBA. When I added the second auto the first year I washed about 50% more cars in the first year and it slowly built up to double the original amount within 5 years. If you did a 5 year lease on the second IBA your payments would be around $3k. You have to decide if you are going to wash enough more cars to offset the added expense. 750 cars at a average of $6 each would about break it even.
Thanks soapy I was figuring 1500 myself but didn't know 100% and it needs to be that number during the hot summer months also correct ?

DavidM

Reaction score
We have friction and touchless side by side. Some customers will only go friction, some will only go touchless however when the line starts to get longer for one, they will move to the other. I think offering both is ideal.
We currently have a Laserwash 360 and an Icon (PDQ). Looking closely at Washworld for the next location.

wasiknator

Mike W
Reaction score
I have 2 IBA's. One WW 2.0 touches and one D&S IQ 2.0 friction. Have been very happy with both. Recently switched my 1.0s to these in 2017.

Prior to this I had 2 WW 1.0 for 16 years. I expected the IQ to do more of the washes, but I am about 50/50 on both units. I am happy and my customers are also happy. If I had to add a 3rd, not sure if I would go friction or touchless in my location.

soonermajic

Reaction score
$180,000 @ 5% for 5 years= $3500 / mo.
So, stands to reason your need to gross about $4000 to break even. So, you'd need to wash about 14 cpd @ $8/wash would get it done.
That seems very attainable. Am I missing something?

soonermajic

Reaction score
SO, what am I missing guys? My figures are quite a bit off from Soapy & Thomas'....

soonermajic

Reaction score
My calculations were correct. However, i only spent $120 total, on my SoftGloss, & washed 19cpd in my 1st yr. So i turned about $2000+ profit each month@!

Ryko CS

Reaction score
Is there a friction machine that can clean a dually?
The Softgloss can wash a dually, so long as you don't use wheel scrub. If you use the HP wheel blaster, it would work fine. For the customizability of wash packages, this year, we released WashBuilder which will give you much more flexibility in letting you create the wash package you would like. It's been a great update for our customers.

CheetahExpress

Reaction score
I don't think my area can support a tunnel, but new wash I'm buying ALWAYS has a line. It currently has a Ryko OHD.
If you have 2 IBA's, would you get matching IBA's or get a touchless & a friction? Why?

Looking at Ryko SoftGloss, WW Profile Maxx & PDQ Surfline.
thoughts on those...?
Hi Coach, as you know, we've got a Profile-Max, and we plan to add another bay with a Razor next year. I stand by the WashWorld product due to it's quality and the great service provided by our distributor. I believe having both a Touchless and a Friction will give customers "a choice," and it will be interesting to see which machine does more. We sometimes have as many as 6 waiting in line, and this will cut down on the wait-time; and if and when 1 machine is down, at least you have another one still doing business and your whole wash isn't down. I'm guessing we'll see alot more of the big dirty pick-ups going through the Profile; and the sporty cars and other vehicles use the touchless. We're in a strange little town -- people take cars and trucks through our wash that aren't even dirty! They love to wash cars in South Texas.

washnshine

Reaction score
I see no advantage to having 2 identical IBA's. So if there is, maybe someone can help me as to why...
Coach - I know what you mean - it makes sense to offer both so you can “make everyone happy”. I guess the argument for having two touchless would be if your competition is a tunnel or tunnels and you are the only touchless game in town and people like to go to you because they prefer that type of wash , you just double your throughput.

Maybe two frictions if touchless is not as popular with your demographic or effective in your geography/soil conditions.

Two of anything will obviously wash a lot more cars, it is just a matter of capturing as many customers as you can with what they like in your area and given your competition.

soonermajic

Reaction score
I put in a 2nd IBA, 18 mos ago. The SoftGloss. Does a very good job, needs a lil better job on backs & wheels, but hp wheel cleaner is better than getting the scrub brushes broke off. Can do duallys, but pretty dang tight. That said, we still do some

srr5008

Reaction score
We have 2 IBA's (WW 2.0's) and 2 SS bays at our location. Both IBA's are touchless, which most people seem to appreciate. We also live in a rural area and have a lot of pickups go through with stuff in the bed (barbed wire, pieces of metal, equipment, etc) so we didn't want to venture into the friction world.

STXCW

Reaction score
We have one double bay site with a TF and Friction. The Friction will wash 4:1 on the TF. When the friction is down, seldom will those customers use the TF and same goes when the TF is down. People are creatures of habit and stick to what they are used to. Several years ago all our units were TF and customers would swear up and down that they wouldn't use a friction wash. Now we have converted all, for the exception of the one site, and naysayers have been converted after giving it a try and realizing the technology has changed from the days of nylon bristles.

twinchester

Reaction score
I don't think my area can support a tunnel, but new wash I'm buying ALWAYS has a line. It currently has a Ryko OHD.
If you have 2 IBA's, would you get matching IBA's or get a touchless & a friction? Why?

Looking at Ryko SoftGloss, WW Profile Maxx & PDQ Surfline.
thoughts on those...?
I would have 1 of each. In most markets the friction wash will do 60% to 70% of the volume. Express washes and competition are considerations.
Ryko doesn't have a distributor in the carolinas. They sell, service and install direct offering considerable discounts on equipment. There are probably 10 techs in the carolinas.
The new machines have computers and allow multiple functions to operate at the same time. Top wash package 3 min 15 sec + dry. Includes all functions.
The equipment will wash dually's.