What's new

How long should my hoses be?

OASIS WASH

Reaction score
Trying to figure out how long my foam brush hose and spray hose needs to be? The ones now seem too long. I just bought this wash and when I watch people clean their cars the hose seems to slap against their care frequently. Not sure if that is just how it is or not. Also when the spray wand is in the holder, the hose touches the ground. I cant imagine that is correct.

Also any particular manufacturer or material that lasts longer?

Thanks!

Last edited:

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
I personally do not like the HP Hose touching the ground when in the holder. Some operators like them that long to be able to wash the concrete apron and vacuum islands. Do your foamy brushes have wall mounted booms. I use to not have booms dedicated to the brush and just a curly hose that beats the vehicle to death when in use I did away with that and just use regular 1/2 inch low pressure brush hoses and it made a big difference. What kind of equipment do you have?

Randy

Reaction score
You want to keep your HP hoses off the bay floor. We like to keep them about 3” or 4” from the bay floor when average 6’ customer is using the HP gun or foam brush. When the HP gun or foam brush are in the holder they are about 6” from the bay floor.

OASIS WASH

Reaction score
I don't know how to upload pics on here. The brushes have wall mount booms and they have a wall hanger for the brush. Not sure what your asking about what type of equipment? Old would be the answer, LOL!

I don't care about having it long to pressure wash the concrete, I have a 3500PSI pressure washer with driveway cleaner for that. Way faster.

Thanks.

Roz

Reaction score
Our customers like the longer hoses so it can be pulled around the car or truck. We have mounted the KR metal hooks (often used for foamy brush handles) on the wall sideways and ask customers to hook the hose on the bar and the handle in the holder. Most customers help us out and do so - the ones that do not don't hang the vac hoses too or drop litter next to the huge garbage bins.

When done properly the hose is off the ground.

MEP001

Reaction score
I try to make the foam brush hose as long as possible, so I had to put the vertical hanger about 7 1/2 feet off the floor. That was also to keep kids from taking it down and mopping the floor with it.

I use GoodYear (now Continental) InstaGrip with push-lock fittings. It's a little expensive but it lasts at least twice as long as any other hose I've used. It lasts long enough that the bend restrictor wears out, I cut off an inch and push it back on with a new restrictor, and I get another couple years out of it from there.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I try to make the foam brush hose as long as possible, so I had to put the vertical hanger about 7 1/2 feet off the floor. That was also to keep kids from taking it down and mopping the floor with it.

I use GoodYear (now Continental) InstaGrip with push-lock fittings. It's a little expensive but it lasts at least twice as long as any other hose I've used. It lasts long enough that the bend restrictor wears out, I cut off an inch and push it back on with a new restrictor, and I get another couple years out of it from there.
Are you referring to: https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-2627-continental-grey-insta-grip-hose-38-inch.aspx to be used with https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-31578-pushlock-barb-38.aspx ???

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I use this but with swivels both ends and bend restrict or on one end. Doesn't kink which stops the weep. https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-11235-15-38-blue-single-wirebraid-hose-38-mpe.aspx
That what we use currently after discontinuing coil hoses. No kinking seems the big plus.

Mep's suggestion only made sense because the hose does go bad by the brush's handle-bend restrictor with wire braid. The Continental hose seems like a lot easier to fix with a pushlock on the end that may be the only problem.

MEP001

Reaction score
Yes, pushlock hose with pushlock fittings.

I use a Spraying Systems swivel at the handle which lasts several years, turns smooth, hose never gets kinked. It lasts longer than the guys I know who use 1/4" high pressure hose for their foam brush. I didn't realize it costs as much as high-pressure hose, but it's a good bit cheaper when you buy 300' at a time.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Yes, pushlock hose with pushlock fittings.

I use a Spraying Systems swivel at the handle which lasts several years, turns smooth, hose never gets kinked. It lasts longer than the guys I know who use 1/4" high pressure hose for their foam brush. I didn't realize it costs as much as high-pressure hose, but it's a good bit cheaper when you buy 300' at a time.
Since we are actually using 1/4" hi pressure hose to be lighter for the customer ... I am thinking this would work & be a bit cheaper besides. We have what looks to be identical 1/2" Parker 300PSI we are using with our 32+ laundromat washing machine project. We just horse shoe bent it like crazy & it looks almost impossible to kink. The 1/4" version might be more kink susceptible ... not sure.

https://www.shopcross.com/product/parker-gph-4gra500rl-general-purpose-gray-hose-14-inch-id-300-psi seems to be more reasonable than KR but then again free freight could be a deciding factor.

Last edited:

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
I too have been doing this for years and only have to replace when the hose starts to dry-rot on the exterior. However, I have never had good luck finding a bend restrictor that works with the fittings. We always build up the hose over the barb with tape, then smoosh the bend restrictor over it, and that usually works, but sometimes it doesn't. What kind of bend restrictor stays in place on that type of fitting? The type we use has no issue on crimped fittings... Only problem is on instagrip type. I've considered using sprinkler hose crimper, but then would have logicstical issues with employees having what they need to fix it, and I don't like any metal exposed anyway.

MEP001

Reaction score
I use a piece of the Scotch brand thin gray outdoor double-stick tape around the hose with a bit of mineral spirits or rubbing alcohol for lubricant to slip the hose guard on. Once it dries you have to slit the guard to get it off. I've also tried building it up with electrical tape but it doesn't hold as well.