What's new

How long should a full detail take?

tw1012

Reaction score
What is a reasonable amount of time for a full hand wax and carpet shampoo with one detailer working?

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
well, I left my wife's car at my friend's shop for a full detail job. He and his helper worked on it most of the day. When I picked it up at the end of the day, they had cleaned the interior and washed to outside but had not had time to wax it yet.

buda

Reaction score
What you describe, a wax and carpet shampoo are what could be called maintenance services performed on a new vehicle or one in good condition.

One person should be able to wax a car in no more than 30 minutes.

One person can complete a carpet shampoo with mats in 30 minutes.

The wash is not included in those times.

A full detail including engine, wheels, wash, trunk clean and shampoo and a complete interior clean and shampoo, 3 step on paint and final detail and inspection 3 to 4 hours depending on condition and size of the vehicle.

Bud Abraham

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
A full detail usually takes my best guy about 5-7 hours depending on the condition of the vehicle. It takes at least an hour of prep work before we even send it through the wash.

tw1012

Reaction score
wow that is a lot of time, I thought my guys were moving slow and that my technique was flawed and not time efficient. We are taking about 4 hours for full interior detail and 1 step wax. I am working on improving my waxing procedure to include removing light scratches and maybe doing 2 coats of wax.

It makes it hard to make money unless you have enough detail business to keep your detailer busy.