What's new

how far is to far!!!

Wash-A-Roo

Living off .25$
Reaction score
Has anyone ever owned a wash in one state and lived in another?? Is it possible and how? My wife and I are thinking of moving to Virginia and wondered if its possible to still keep one of our washes. We have already put one up for sale. We have a full time employee there so that would help... just wanting to get some input. thanks

Chiefs

Reaction score
I have a customer who purchased and renovated a wash in Colorado and started up another wash in Houston. Its difficult and fraught with pitfalls, but it can be done if you don't mind flying back and forth a lot.

MEP001

Reaction score
If you can find someone you trust, to whom you can hand over the keys and have them do everything, you would be better off than trying to drive or fly back and forth.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think it's too far away to manage successfully. You seem like the type of person who keeps things to a high standard and I doubt you'll be able to achieve this from a state away.

I live 30 min. from my wash and I think THAT is too far some days. Though other days it's not far enough!

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
If you can find someone you trust, to whom you can hand over the keys and have them do everything, you would be better off than trying to drive or fly back and forth.
That's the key. Personally, I don't want anybody handling my money but me, but everybody is different. What part of Virginia? I live close to the TN-VA line and know of several good car washes that could probally be bought.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
That would make the wash an "absentee owner" business. It's certainly do-able, but I'd avoid it if at all possible. If you do, I would expect a decrease in revenue and a decrease in the value of the wash over time.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I know several who have tried it but none that worked that well.

If you do decide to do it you might want to consider either a "sweat equity" deal or some form of compensation package for the manager/attendant that is highly incentivized. I assume you have cameras and a connection to the wash that lists sales information. Without that I would never consider it.

Wash-A-Roo

Living off .25$
Reaction score
thanks for the info guys.....I didn't think it would work. We are moving to the Lynchburg area. Know of any good ones in that area for sale?

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
thanks for the info guys.....I didn't think it would work. We are moving to the Lynchburg area. Know of any good ones in that area for sale?
I'll see what I can find out for you. Lynchburg is about 3hrs north of me, it's a very nice town.