What's new

How far can Electric SUV Travel on a full charge

Etowah

Carson0_1Carol253

Reaction score
Since SUVs are perfect for road trips, which electric SUV can go far on a full charge? And how long does it take to fully charge?

mac

Reaction score
From what I’ve read the SUV can maybe do 30 to 40 miles. A lot depends on terrain and temperature. A Suburban with a 40 gal tank will do quite a bit better.

JustaGuy

Reaction score
You can expect between 200 and 300 miles on a full charge with a new all-electric SUV, most models will give you around 250 miles though a couple models can top out at 300 or a bit more. Keep in mind that range will decrease as the battery ages, and even while new the actual range will depend on accessory use (think AC and heat, primarily) and type of driving (counterintuitively, city driving gives more range due to regenerative braking and less wind resistance at lower speeds).

Charging time depends on the kind of charging - there are three common charging types:

Standard 110v outlet will get you about 40 miles of range on an 8-hour charge.

30-AMP 220v charging (typical public charging station, and easily set up for a home charging system) adds about 180 miles of range on an 8-hour charge.

DC fast charging, if you can find a charging station that offers it, can add 50 to 90 miles of range in 30 minutes of charging, depending on the station’s power capacity and the make of EV.

And, then there's Tesla's supercharger, capable of adding up to 170 miles of range in a half hour.

mac

Reaction score
You can expect between 200 and 300 miles on a full charge with a new all-electric SUV, most models will give you around 250 miles though a couple models can top out at 300 or a bit more. Keep in mind that range will decrease as the battery ages, and even while new the actual range will depend on accessory use (think AC and heat, primarily) and type of driving (counterintuitively, city driving gives more range due to regenerative braking and less wind resistance at lower speeds).

Charging time depends on the kind of charging - there are three common charging types:

Standard 110v outlet will get you about 40 miles of range on an 8-hour charge.

30-AMP 220v charging (typical public charging station, and easily set up for a home charging system) adds about 180 miles of range on an 8-hour charge.

DC fast charging, if you can find a charging station that offers it, can add 50 to 90 miles of range in 30 minutes of charging, depending on the station’s power capacity and the make of EV.

And, then there's Tesla's supercharger, capable of adding up to 170 miles of range in a half hour.
Thanks for the newer information. This stuff is changing rapidly and battery tech has come a long way. That makes this a practical vehicle.

washnvac

Reaction score
I disagree, MAC. No way practical. We can not supply enough electric now across the U.S., but we are going to be able to charge all the EVs ?

How about all those folks stuck on I-95 in Virginia in the snow storm a few weeks ago for over 24 hours. Would you have wanted to be in a electric car then? I do not thing so. Or the power outage in Texas a year and 1/2 ago. Where you going to go with no charge?

And we are all subsidizing these things, as they are not paying any gas tax. The idiots in charge better get off their a$$ and initiate a mileage tax soon for EVs. Roads and bridges are falling apart now all across the U.S., and less money is being collected to repair these things.

I have ZERO interest in an electric vehicle. Just my 2 cents.....

Last edited:

mac

Reaction score
Good points and all valid. By practical I meant for driving around town to the grocery store, not long trips. And yes it pi$$es me off too that we are subsidizing this crap with money our government doesn’t have. I’ll stick with my Jeep for now.