What's new

How far away do you consider competition

Jujubeadz

Reaction score
How close does a tunnel wash need to be in order to be considered competition?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
That's hard to say. Geography and demographics play into it greatly. I had an express open less than a mile down the same road from my 7&3. The town population about 11K, with three other autos and 7 more SS bays. My wash was well kept and established, and they were hardly a blip on my radar screen. A big factor IMO was that the main road into town is the east/west divider. I was about 1/4 mile west, them 1/4 mile east. The town is booming, but nearly all the growth is west of the divide. IMO, they are 1/4 mile from prosperity. They own a 4&2 on the other side of town. I practically got down on my knees and begged them to buy my washes (making them own every wash in town), but they wouldn't even meet with me. I'm guessing they felt the almighty express would siphon away all my business and they wouldn't need to. Anyway, I sold them to someone else that is upgrading some things, including membership plan. I feel they are regretting ignoring me about now.

soonermajic

Reaction score
That's hard to say. Geography and demographics play into it greatly. I had an express open less than a mile down the same road from my 7&3. The town population about 11K, with three other autos and 7 more SS bays. My wash was well kept and established, and they were hardly a blip on my radar screen. A big factor IMO was that the main road into town is the east/west divider. I was about 1/4 mile west, them 1/4 mile east. The town is booming, but nearly all the growth is west of the divide. IMO, they are 1/4 mile from prosperity. They own a 4&2 on the other side of town. I practically got down on my knees and begged them to buy my washes (making them own every wash in town), but they wouldn't even meet with me. I'm guessing they felt the almighty express would siphon away all my business and they wouldn't need to. Anyway, I sold them to someone else that is upgrading some things, including membership plan. I feel they are regretting ignoring me about now.
GREAT story

Jujubeadz

Reaction score
One concern I have is a new development about 3-4 miles up the road.

Around the SS is going up around 7000 houses.

And up from that a large development including a large grocery store.

Just looks like a nice spot for a full service tunnel.

Eric H

Reaction score
Just looks like a nice spot for a full service tunnel.
Maybe you should grab a piece of land and do a 3 bay IBA and get the market before someone else.
Regarding your original question, it largely depends on traffic patterns. I’m about 10 miles from the New Hampshire boarder but i wash a lot of NH license plates. They have to come past the wash to get to civilization.
I have another site on another major road that only washes local customers. This site competes with a “3 and free” less than 2 miles up the road. I don’t think there is much crossover on the type of customers we have.
I always chuckle when someone says “my closest competitor is 10 miles away...” In my market, anything that is 10 miles away might as well be 100 miles away.

OurTown

Reaction score
I look at distance to competitors in minutes of drive time and not in miles. 10 minutes away could be only two miles or it could be 8.

Jujubeadz

Reaction score
Saturday I visited every SS in the Orlando area, and I was shocked at how neglected they were. Although still busy, but zero maintenance.

is this due to a decline in SS or just owners getting slacked?

my goal was to find any innovative ideas that I could incorporate. But nothing.

I was disappointed.

washnshine

Reaction score
Saturday I visited every SS in the Orlando area, and I was shocked at how neglected they were. Although still busy, but zero maintenance.

I was disappointed.
I’m wondering why they were busy - but maybe none of them stood out enough to pull away from the others.

Eric H

Reaction score
I was shocked at how neglected they were. Although still busy, but zero maintenance.
IMO this is the biggest issue with our segment of the industry. There are a lot of locations that are successful as the Best of the Worst.
I respect that for many owners this is a side business with most having a single location. They simply don’t have enough time/money to reinvest in the business. Instead of replacing equipment that has surpassed it’s useful life they put the money in their pocket. It doesn’t take long for everything to be worn out and a major capital investment needed to stay relevant.
But, as you stated, still busy. That tells me that the public is still interested in SS washes. The SS segment isn’t dying as a former long time member here used to declare!

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I think you could possibly feel an impact from a wash up to about 15 minutes away if you are an IBA. SS, don't know but the customers don't crossover that much. They do though, I see customers in my SS with goo-goo air fresheners hanging from their mirror.

Tom Thumb

Reaction score

I was disappointed.
You must have missed mine, but that is Ok too so just stay away.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
You would be suprised at some locations here in N TX. I know of one wash where the brick is falling off all over the place exposing the structural support beams and people still pack the place.....of course it helps he's at .25 to start! I don't know how much time but it still crazy how many people go to wash their car there

MEP001

Reaction score
There are a lot like that in San Antonio too, ugly and falling apart, 25 or 50¢ to start for three minutes, and busy.

docopp

Reaction score
I think SS is a niche market. Many don't want to put their car thru a tunnel. They want to wash it themselves or have someone hand wash it. I have a 5 bay SS and I can walk to three tunnels. One is a new Quick Quack. I bought my SS 4 years ago, it was run down, We now have a nice clean, great products in our bays car wash. We keep getting busier. I added credit card readers on everything, bays and vacuums. Vacums and bays are kept clean. We have music playing, tons of lighting, a very safe and visible SS. We have a free air and free wiper fluid station (the best marketing ever). Costs almost nothing and many people use it every day, some stay and some ask about our detail shop (the back 1/2 of the car wash). I think our biggest competition is with ourselves, not keeping our SS top notch constantly.

washnshine

Reaction score
I think SS is a niche market. Many don't want to put their car thru a tunnel. They want to wash it themselves or have someone hand wash it. I have a 5 bay SS and I can walk to three tunnels. One is a new Quick Quack. I bought my SS 4 years ago, it was run down, We now have a nice clean, great products in our bays car wash. We keep getting busier. I added credit card readers on everything, bays and vacuums. Vacums and bays are kept clean. We have music playing, tons of lighting, a very safe and visible SS. We have a free air and free wiper fluid station (the best marketing ever). Costs almost nothing and many people use it every day, some stay and some ask about our detail shop (the back 1/2 of the car wash). I think our biggest competition is with ourselves, not keeping our SS top notch constantly.
Yes - the three tunnels you can walk to are probably sharing the same customer base and pulling from each other more than you are pulling from them. And if you are the only SS game I town, or the only well-maintained one, it’s going to be good for you. Now if those tunnels did not exist, you most likely would have a bigger piece of the pie at your SS.

I have tunnels and SS - I think most of the crossover I have is SS customers that like to hand wash when they can, but switch over to the tunnel in the winter. My Ss bays have heated floors, hot water, and are as comfortable as can be in cold weather, but some people just don’t want to deal with that in the winter in the northeast.