What's new

How do I light the pilot on my boiler?

Overachiever

Reaction score
Here's my dumb question of the day. Somehow managed to own the car wash 5 years without having to deal with this. I had the gas was turned off for some remodeling and now I'm not sure how to get the thing lit back up.

It's a raypak. All I've ever done in the past is just flip the switch on the side of it to get it started (attached picture). Also attached a picture of the inside.

The directions on it say to close the gas valves, close the manual pilot valve, turn off power, open manual pilot valve, turn on power, turn on gas valves.

I tried to do that to the best my ability but it doesn't seem to be lit. Also tried to get it to go with a lighter but wasn't really sure where to put the lighter to get it to light up.. lol.

View attachment 1289 View attachment 1288

OurTown

Reaction score
It might take a few cycles to bleed out the air but there is no pilot for you to manually light.

MEP001

Reaction score
It looks like it's been converted to an electronic ignition. Just turn on all the valves and turn the power on. If you smell strong gas at any point, turn everything off and call a boiler expert.

Overachiever

Reaction score
Thanks, I've tried flipping the switch several times and the only thing I notice that happens is the recirculating pump turns on. Is there somewhere specific I'm supposed to bleed air out of it, assuming that is the issue or will just keeping the power on it for a while be all I need to do?

OurTown

Reaction score
You should hear the igniter constantly clicking until fire.

MEP001

Reaction score
And if you don't hear the igniter clicking, your flow switch may be bad.

6t7gto

Reaction score
I just had my raypak shut down on me.
It was a bad ground to the igniter down by the pilot.
I ran an additional ground wire from the bracket the holds the pilot/igniter back to the boiler cabinet.
david

Overachiever

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I got it figured out a couple days ago, just in time for the big freeze. There is something on it that makes sure their is enough antifreeze in the system before it will try to start up and I guess I didn't have quite enough in there.

Also noticed the pressure relief valve had a plug in it, maybe the previous owner was trying to blow the place up, haha..

6t7gto

Reaction score
I had that happen to me a long time ago.
The flow switch is located on the right side of my Raypack.