What's new

How do I know if I need a water softener?

APW

Reaction score
My wash I am about to open is on city water. Was wondering if someone could tell me how to determine if I need a water softener or not. Thanks.

Darrell

Reaction score
Best thing is buy a Hach 5b hardness test kit. So you can test it yourself anytime you like .

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Best thing is buy a Hach 5b hardness test kit. So you can test it yourself anytime you like .
What Darrell said.

In addition, before you even open, go and get a water sample from the next door neighbor and test it. IMO, if it tests over 1 grain hard you need a softener. All that being said, virtually every wash I have seen uses one. If you have a touchless auto, soft water is of utmost importance.

JeffM

The Canadian
Reaction score
For the small investment which will potentially increase the life of all of your pumps it will be worth it either way. I would do it without even thinking twice on a new construction wash.

troyberry

Reaction score
All washes should have a water softener. ALL WASHES. I can't believe someone would let you build a wash without a softener.

APW

Reaction score
How do I know what size I need or which one I should buy?

MEP001

Reaction score
First, test the city water. After that you'll need to determine how much water you'll be using.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
I also find it hard to imagine that someone on the team would not analyze water before determining equipment specifications.

Sanity test would be to spray tap water on car, let it dry and see if it spots.

Otherwise, I would get with your equipment dealer.

APW

Reaction score
I bought a wash at a auction and gutted it. Totaled remodeled my buildings and bought some equipment that was 3 years old. Im now hooking everything up. It has been a big learning curve but I am enjoying it!

Reaction score
First, test the city water. After that you'll need to determine how much water you'll be using.
The TDS in my water is 140ppm.......I have 3 IBA touchless systems and uses about 8000 gallons of water per day........What size of water softener should I buy.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
To expand on MEP's posts, not everything that raises TDS is contributes to hard water.You can have soft water with a high TDS. However, if you had low TDS then you also have softer water.

Toms PTcarwash

Reaction score
I believe 140ppm correlates to about 8 grains of hardness. That would give you what is considered hard water.

Hard = 7-10.5 GPG (total grains x 17.1 equals ppm)

Toms PTcarwash

Reaction score
www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLXlIK1MJ9s

Here is a really short video about testing water.
For hardness, I would send it for testing or get a real test kit, specifically for DKH, you can get one at an aquarium store. I don't trust my TDS meter for hardness, but maybe it's, ok?
Soft water will save you a lot of maintenance troubles and chemical costs. It will also extend the life of your RO membranes, especially if you have chlorinated municipal water.
Also note at the end of the video, he tells you anything over 7 grains will plug a tankless water heater pretty quickly.

MEP001

Reaction score
I believe 140ppm correlates to about 8 grains of hardness.
Nope. TDS is total dissolved solids. Hardness is mainly calcium. My city water is 740 TDS at a hardness of 8.
Soft water will save you a lot of maintenance troubles and chemical costs. It will also extend the life of your RO membranes, especially if you have chlorinated municipal water.
Soft water still has chlorine. It requires a separate activated charcoal filter before the RO system to remove it.