What's new

How are your sewer rates calculated?

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
Four comments:

I was sucessful in getting a 25 % decrease in rate based on indusry info I thought (I later found out that friend of the Mayor had already cut that deal several years earlier and they had no choice but to reduce ours or her friend's--you gotta love these democrats).

Shortly after our victory celebration, the town's commercial rate was increased by 53 %--the hearing notice was about a week prior to Christmas and the hearing was held between Christmas and new years day--we were out of town and missed it--no one showed and they the city said had no choice but to go with the PSC's recommendation ( the Mayor had been named "democrat of the year" a couple years prior and was wired to the state psc). By this time her friend had closed their wash. As a known republican, there was no courtesy call to their biggest customer--us!!

As Earl points out the rate has little to do with costs of treatment but everything to do with how much revenue they would like.

I looked into reclaim a few years ago and gave Dean our numbers--he provided a very professional reply which basically said, our numbers do not support it yet. If we need review reclaim in future, he will be my first choice--an honest man.

PS--what goes around... this past Christmas, the City had the annual parade--The county republican party entered a float and won a cash prize--would like to have been present when she had to sign check to county republican executive committee--in fairness she is running against another democrat (no republican contender) coming up and he is good guy.

Ted

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
Washvac,
Do you have any info. on the ultrasonic type sewer meter?
Looked into one type but it was with the impeller, city was not impressed with it.

washnvac

Reaction score
I knew that would come up, and ofcourse I do not have the info here at the office. I will be at that location on Tuesday, and will get the info for you. Look for it late Tuesday evening. It has been a few years since we installed it, but I think the only issue for the model I have is that the line must be full. (Not gravity fed) I am on my own force main, so this was not an issue for me. I had to install a pumping station when I built in 2000 because the line was 1000 feet away, and the town would not run it to me. We just installed it on the backside of the pumping station, then mounted the remote read on the station control box. The cost of the unit back in 2003 was about $1800. I "googled" ultrasonic sewer meter trying to find mine, with no luck. But it looks like there is quite a few different models out now.

Micah Savell

***** member since 2001
Reaction score
Last fall a customer of mine was notified by FDEP that he was in non-compliance on his closed closed loop system. This system was in the wash when he purchased it but was problematic from day one in water quality and odor. He removed the reclaim system and installed a membrane system with an additional 1500 gallons of water storage. The results in water quality were amazing and the reduction in water are below. FYI: Although the bills were higher in Nov and December he washed more cars in February. It took a little time to tweak it. Last week he received his new Letter of Compliance and renewed permit.

11/11/08 – 12/10/08 $645
12/11/08 – 01/10/09 $716
01/11/09 – 02/10/09 $459
02/11/09 – 03/10/09 $295

The quality of the water is clear and there is NO odor. Amazing technology.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Will the city allow you to put a meter on your sewer? Due to evaporation, runoff and carry off you are definitely not putting all of the water you use into the sewer system. The meters are a bit pricey but every operator that I have known that was able to install a sewer meter has benefited from it.

washnvac

Reaction score
Tom Thumb: The sewer meter I am using is called an Ultra Mag, model # UM06-02. It is for a 2 inch line rated to 160 gpm. The company that makes it is McCrometer, Inc. Their website is: www.mccrometer.com You can find details on all the latest units, and find a distributor. I got mine from Hughes Supply, which became HD Supply when Home Depot bought it, now my area store is closed as of last October.

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
Washvac,
Thanks for the info.
Did you have problems with the local county or city fathers in getting premission to install this unit.
Water dept. here was not very helpful here. (central Fl.)

washnvac

Reaction score
I actually did not have a problem. This was because there was already other commercial businesses on a sewer meter. Although, I did request the same at another municipality and they turned it down. They gave me the BS that my rates already calculated in the carryout & evaporation. I am sure they did some scientific survey on this to get the rate. Anyhow, I chose not to make any waves, because that town doesn't give me any grief over other potential issues at the site. These big egos in little government can make life miserable if they so choose, if you know what I mean. So I just try to conserve as best I can. Good luck with it.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
There are some estimates on carry off and evaporation that might suggest to them that not all the water that is used in the wash goes into the sewer.