What's new

House Hold Trash

gshick

Reaction score
Anyone have a problem with people throwing their house trash bags in their trash cans?? Just today we had 8 total bags over 6 locations. We go through the bags and find mail when we can and send them a letter telling them they are in violation of a misdemeanor. The letters might help a little bit still a huge issue. Any suggestions??

soonermajic

Reaction score
better question is anybody DOES NOT have trash as a problem?!!

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I don't. Thankfully. Sure, the occasional shopping bag, but never a "dumping".

Overachiever

Reaction score
Yesterday I had a garbage can full of pig parts, like the hide, ears, blood and guts. But yeah, I have a lot of problems in getting people to even use the garbage cans. At least when they bring there bag of house hold trash over it's already bagged and easy to toss in my dumpster. :D

pgrzes

Reaction score
new location only open since last June. Had a full dumpster of bags of paper wrap from a person moved to the area, found a letter with address, went and visited and got a big apology and removal of trash. Another new move in filled dumpster to the top with cardboard boxes. They cut off the labels on every box but the moving company wrote name in sharpie on a bunch of them, looked them up on Facebook, sent them a message that I have video and need the trash removed before I review the video with the police. They apologized and showed up within 10 minutes, I avoided going out to greet them, I just didnt feel like discussing it!! Videos and social media is sometimes a great thing.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I've had fun a few times when I find a lot of paperwork, magazines, and such. I'll cut off a mailing label and tape in on the front of a large manila envelope. I'll then stuff it full of their stuff so it's good and heavy and throw it in a mailbox. Since it has no postage or return address, I'm hoping it comes to them "postage due" or they get a note that they have a package at the post office. Either way, it will either cost them a couple of bucks or some of their time.

gshick

Reaction score
Have you actually taken any footage to the police? If so, did they do anything about it?

soapy

Reaction score
Last week one of my dumpster was filled completely full of hay. Then they went to the bay and blew the rest out. I figured I was lucky that not all of it ended up in the bay for me to clean and take to the dumpster. Mini vans are the worst dumpers IMO.

Randy

Reaction score
Have you actually taken any footage to the police? If so, did they do anything about it?
I've been toe to toe with the police more than once and they won't do anything if the garbage is out in the front garbage cans, but I still call them all the time. You should call them, heck they might do something. I keep my dumpster locked like Fort Knox or it would be full in a minute. When we are at the car wash cleaning up we'll get a lot of people who will start to turn in, see us and leave, gee I wonder what they are up to. Soapy's right about the "Mini vans are the worst dumpers"

Roz

Reaction score
Customers have no shame or hesitation. They fill our dumpsters in front of me (wearing car wash hat and helping people) and then don't even spend any money on a vac or wash. I removed the big dumpster and now have 5 smaller trash bins that the trash haulers raise on their truck which saves my back or having to get someone to empty the bins into the dumpster. Same cost, no labor needed to keep the trash from piling up since the individual bins are larger than traditional trash cans. No worth the time or headache to track them down as they will just trash you online which is worse. Focus on the other more important value add issues, you will have less stress.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Yesterday I had just emptied all the trash cans and was washing down a bay when this girl gets out of a car and dumps a large bag of trash, before I could say anything she fills anothe can with another bag and is about to grab third bag when I tell her I’m not her trash company and to stop.
She looks at me and for some reason looks up at the roof and yells at me that it’s a “F—-ing car wash” and I asked her does the sign say I’m a “F—-ing trash company”?
Then her boyfriend gets out of the car to apologies and he’s one of my best customers. I asked him is one of the reason he likes coming here is because it’s clean and he said yes and again apologized.
Man was I lucky he was a big guy.

sparkey

Reaction score
I know a car wash in my area removed all the trash cans. He said its the best thing he ever did. Sometimes I wonder if I should do the same thing.

kentadel

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I had broken chunks of granite countertop in my vac trash cans. Filled up enough that it was too heavy to lift, so had to dig them out. I also had brake shoes, rotors, and a desk broken into small enough pieces to fill 3 trash cans. I am adding a new vac area at a wash and considering not adding trash cans with them.

mac

Reaction score
Forget the police and video tapes. If you can find an address simply take all of the trash to that person's address and toss it in their front yard. It's called gorilla warfare.

johnny

johnny
Reaction score
this problem never ends, I find the best thing to do take it back to them.
then put on there front door or in there driveway where they have to get out of the car to move it.
and if is a repeat offender [rarely] a little extra seams to help

MEP001

Reaction score
I kept having an argument with the same guy who thought it was ok to come in and empty a month's worth of pizza boxes and 2-liter Pepsi bottles out of his truck cab. He kept threatening to call the cops on me but never would. The second-to-last time I saw him he said "I'll never use your car wash again, but if I don't see you here I'll still come dump my trash" and took off. I already had his name and address, since he was in a neighboring town the cops couldn't do anything. He came back one more time and tried to dump again, so I started pulling cans and dumping them in the back of the truck and said "Call the cops." He suddenly changed his attitude completely and said "I'll make you a deal, let me clean out my trash one more time and I won't ever come back." I told him "I'll make you a deal, leave right now, don't ever come back, and I won't have you charged for illegal dumping and criminal trespass." I never saw him again.