What's new

Hourly Rate...

Twodose

Reaction score
In the self-serve car wash industry, what would be a reasonable hourly rate that you would charge someone to do work in there carwash?

MEP001

Reaction score
Depends. I used to work for a distributor and left in 2003. I did a lot of work for former customers who called me direct - the ones I didn't know well I charged $40/hr. and I set up a LLC and sales tax permit, all by the books. Some that I'd gotten to be friends with I'd do for $20/hr. cash. That was almost 20 years ago so obviously those numbers will be a lot higher, maybe $55/30. Back then I was driving a Chevy pickup that only cost me gas and $50/month insurance, so my overhead was almost nothing. I'm charging $75/hr. now spending $600 a month on a service van.

Twodose

Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking, around $60 per hour. Where I am at I don't know anyone you can hire, that knows the business.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Depends on your area,expertise, and productivity but if someone grumbles about $60 hour nowadays they can fix it themselves. I was probably paying close to that ten years ago, but the guy was good and worked quickly.

washnshine

Reaction score
Automobile mechanics/technicians are anywhere from $80-$110 hr. - $110 being at the dealerships - and you are bringing your car to them. The car wash tech is driving to your location and working on your wash. And if you need one with more of a specialty- like the ability to troubleshoot and work on a specific IBA - that might be harder to fine. So I definitely think the prices above are more than justified.

Randy

Reaction score
I got letter the other day from the PDQ distributor informing me that the their new 2022 rate is $135 an hour from shop to shop. So I raised our rate to $110 an hour shop to shop.