What's new

Hot Water

Andy Burn

Reaction score
I am absolutely confused if I should offer hot water rinse at my wash. Customers complain that the cold water freezes on their cars while they are washing (-20 Celsius temps). Will a hot water rinse mitigate this issue?

When I bought the gas station there was 1 water heater that supplied hot water to the building, laundromat, car wash and radiant heat in the car wash. As the tank was red tagged it was removed and the laundromat was taken down as well. I installed a separate hot water tank for the radiant floor heat and the system is working ok.

The hot water from the previous hot water heater came to a mixing valve in the car wash equipment room and into a storage tank which feeds the pumps. I have a CAT 340 and CAT 34 pump (4GPM).

My questions are:

1)Will a hot water rinse mitigate the issue of water freezing on the car?

2) I read a previous post and the general consensus was the HTP Phonenix 199,000 btu 55 gallon heater is a good option to supply hot water for the bays. However, it costs $9000 and I am wondering if there is any other similar heater you may recommend for a cheaper price? 9K translates to roughly 6-7 months profit.

3) If I install a tankless GSW/Takagi 10 GPM, 199,000 btu will it be able to keep up with the demand of hot water? For a rise of 70 degree the flow rate is only 5.4 GPM.

4) In a previous post it was mentioned that the hot water rinse may crack the windshield. So should I just drop the idea of a hot water rinse?

Regards
Andy

Keith Baker

Keith Baker
Reaction score
I have a fairly busy 6 bay and put in three 75 gal 75k btu water heaters. Each one is responsible for two bays. I don't rinse with hot water, but I'm sure there is enough storage there to do that. One of these would surely be enough for you. They were about $2200 each three years ago at the Supply House.

Toms PTcarwash

Reaction score
I heat my soap, wax and all low pressure functions. I do not heat my rinse.
-20c is below 0f, so I don't think there is anything you can do to stop water from freezing at that temp. Maybe delay it by a few seconds.