What's new

Hot Water for HP Rinse?

acbruno

Reaction score
A customer discussed with me his concern about our SS using non-heated water for high pressure rinse because he said it freezes on his car by the time he goes to dry it. Temps were around 10 degrees F at that time. We have four high pressure functions (soap, wax, clear coat, and rinse) and only the HP rinse is non-heated. I told him no chemical is injected so it doesn't need heat but really that's just the way my place was when I bought it. I don't think I need heated water for the wax or clear coat but I never changed it. It got me thinking though, would it be wise to switch to heated water for all HP functions during cold temps maybe 20 degrees or colder F? I don't think it would make much difference and this has been the only customer to ask me about it.

Eric H

Reaction score
I have my HP rinse setup to automatically switch to hot water at 30 degrees. Customers do notice and appreciate it as the temps get colder. When they notice it the most is when they go to another wash and the rinse is cold.
Does it increase cost? YES! Does it wash better? NO! Does it increase customer satisfaction? ABSOLUTELY!

MEP001

Reaction score
Assuming your setup has cold water solenoids that bypass the hot water tank on rinse, you could throttle back the ball valves in the winter to warm up the rinse but not have it full-on hot. Either that or put doors on the bays and heat them, seems like closing a valve would be easier.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I tend to be a little careful about reacting customers who want some specific feature, after I look into it a little bit it almost never appears to be a profitable change, just and entitled customer who wants. I checked the video after the last person told me they paid for this wash and were entitled to hot water (5 years ago), and they were cleaning snow off their car, not washing.
Yes I know ice is an issue when it gets really cold, but do a quickie spreadsheet - how many cars at what ambient temp, how much to heat the water, how many lost customers if you dont, etc.
Speaking just for my wash, I believe hot water rinse is a money loser, not a money maker.
I'll also admit that I do use warm water on rare occasions - like those rare 10 degree sunny saturdays with dry salty roads. But thats MY decision for specific reasons, not a reaction to a customer who wants.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I have hot and cold water lines T'd in to the tanks. That way I can open and close them t increase temp as needed. He is correct at 10 degrees he may end up with a block of ice if he uses cold water.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
In some climates where the temperature of the surfaces on the vehicle can be way below zero Fahrenheit ... I would think that hot could even crack the glass???

On the flip side ... it is true that even with our tempered water (lukewarm) (on soap only) sometimes a customer will seek us out pointing out ice formed as they were spraying initially. That customers "lack of understanding" person tends to be a rare exception as most will just spend a bit more until the surfaces gradually warm up albeit more spraying.

Summer time ... motorcycle guy "stays in bay not washing" to let engine cool down. Same guy in winter "stays in bay not washing" with his vehicle saying it needs to warm up?????

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
In some climates where the temperature of the surfaces on the vehicle can be way below zero Fahrenheit ... I would think that hot could even crack the glass???

Summer time ... motorcycle guy "stays in bay not washing" to let engine cool down. Same guy in winter "stays in bay not washing" with his vehicle saying it needs to warm up?????
I operate tunnels and have washed plenty of cars in below zero weather. I do not know how hot water is by the time it hits the vehicles but glass does not crack although prior cracks will "Grow" . It is the same when cold water hits hot glass on a summer day.

As far as the motorcycle goes the Hot engine getting hit with cold water should not be an issue otherwise it would happen to a hot engine when ti rains. Depending on the age and technology some (like mu '95) may still have manual chokes and will run better after warming up a couple of minutes.

Etowah