What's new

Hot Water for High Pressure Applications

Etowah

JamboWash

Reaction score
Hello

I am new to the industry and trying to learn , one question i had on the self serve is what are the advantages of using Hot water rather then cold water and how many people still use hot water ?

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I use hot water for all chemical applications. My chemical guy recommends it for better action. Customers love feeling the warm hose too.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Like washing anything else, the warmer water will be more effective in absorbing cleaning solutions and dissolving grime.

A.Milton

Reaction score
I have heard from a few in the business that it is not good to hit a hot car from summer temperatures with cold water...no explanation given as to why...I assumed....cleaning ability...having to get the metal of the car acclimated to the water temperature?? Is there any truth in this?

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Generally problems are only caused when the temperature difference is extreme like you may find in the Southwest and South. The two areas where the most problems can occur are on glass and hot rims. I have seen glass shatter when hit with cold water from a water hose and rims damaged when they are hot from driving and braking a lot. In the case of glass I doubt that the amount of water that would come from a wand would cause a problem because of the volume of water it would dispense. That is not the case with rims however. I did quite a bit of research when the company I worked for was developing wheel cleaners and found that even fresh water can damage some rims if they are hot.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I visited a wash yesterday that used hot water for all cycles and it was HOT! I just would have a question about cost when going this way that is alot of added expense and the gas bill going through the roof

Mel(NC)

Reaction score
I quit using hot water about 6 years ago. The cost of heating was just too expensive. I did not see any change in revenue and very few people ask about it.

washnvac

Reaction score
I dispense hot water for soap and wax applications. Rinse is cold. 5 locations.

sparkey

Reaction score
I have never used any hot water for self serve bays and only heat the presoak in the touch free automatic. I can only think of a couple complaints in 6 years. They were both in the winter when people were trying to melt 2 inches of snow off their car when it was 3 degrees out. I was kind of glad I didn't have hot water at that time. This is a car wash not a de-icing station. I have never had issues with not getting cars clean. I guess if your soap is good enough it really isn't needed.