What's new

Hose type pulsation dampener

Jim L.

Florida panhandle
Reaction score
This morning I had a hose type pulsation dampener develop a leak. Since I didn’t have a replacement, I plugged the orifice where it was attached with a brass plug. The CAT 310 runs as smooth without the dampener as it did with it.

Does a CAT 310 really need this dampener to have a long and productive life?

Randy

Reaction score
I've been running my Cat 310 pumps without them for 35 years so I would have to say you don't really need them.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
IMOH, pulsation dampness just disguise/band-aid an issue that needs to be resolved (valves going bad, etc.). I don't use pulsation dampness on my Hypros or Arimitsus.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
IMOH, pulsation dampness just disguise/band-aid an issue that needs to be resolved (valves going bad, etc.). I don't use pulsation dampness on my Hypros or Arimitsus.
I thought they took up some of the "Shock" when someone let off the trigger causing a sudden bump in back pressure.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Never thought of it that way, not sure. I thought they were to even out the pressure on the way to the wand. I suppose the other way makes sense too.

MEP001

Reaction score
The pulsation dampener does make the pressure smoother at the gun, and even though CAT says they're necessary I wouldn't waste money on them unless the line was hard pipe.

I've found that the "shock" when the trigger is pulled and released is usually due to how the pump is plumbed. I make sure the flow doesn't change by putting the inlet and the regulator bypass on the same side. I've seen many plumbed with the inlet/outlet on one side and the regulator on the other to make servicing easier, and those always chatter briefly every time the trigger is pulled/released.