What's new

Hose brands

keniniowa

Reaction score
I need to order some spare hoses for my SS. Been using Goodyear Neptune single-wire, doesn't seem like they last as long as they should.

What brands do you guys like?

Is there a reason to use double-wire?

Looking at the KR tough cover economy hose. Would that be a good hose to go from the pumps to the booms? Probably shouldn't use it where it could ever contact a car?

MEP001

Reaction score
Are you using 1/4 or 3/8" hose?

Are you using any swivels?

How exactly are they failing?

How long are your hoses lasting? How long do you expect a $15 hose to last?

I've always used GoodYear Neptune hose as bay hose and rarely replace on in less than a year. I replace them before they break.

Double-wire is probably not a good idea for bay hose. It's heavy, expensive, not very flexible and probably won't last any longer.

Randy

Reaction score
How long is the Goodyear Neptune lasting? We’ve used both the KR Economy and the Goodyear Neptune over the years. We are currently using the Goodyear Neptune. I think the KR Economy hose is made by Weatherhead, the OD spec is the same. We’ve had good luck with the KR Economy hose. We buy hose by the reel and crimp on the ends.

The best HP hose I ever used was made by Semperit tire in France. Some of it has lasted more than 15 years

keniniowa

Reaction score
They last give or take a year, some more, some less.

Blow out 12"-18" from either end. 3/8" hose w/swivels on both ends.

When they blow out the wire braid is rusty. That means they're breaking down internally long before they blow.

I have some black no-name hoses that have been in use since I bought the wash five years ago.

Just curious if there's something better.

harleygrant

Reaction score
They last give or take a year, some more, some less.

Blow out 12"-18" from either end. 3/8" hose w/swivels on both ends.

When they blow out the wire braid is rusty. That means they're breaking down internally long before they blow.

I have some black no-name hoses that have been in use since I bought the wash five years ago.

Just curious if there's something better.
What brand of soap/presoak products are you using?

MEP001

Reaction score
keniniowa said:
That's what I see too. The outer sheath gets dry and cracks, then the braid starts to rust. I change them at the first sign of rust, before they break. By that time at least one of the swivels is worn out and the gun is pretty well beat up so I change everything at once. It doesn't cost enough to worry about trying to replace pieces here and there as they go bad.

Wally

Reaction score
That's what I see too. The outer sheath gets dry and cracks, then the braid starts to rust. I change them at the first sign of rust, before they break. By that time at least one of the swivels is worn out and the gun is pretty well beat up so I change everything at once. It doesn't cost enough to worry about trying to replace pieces here and there as they go bad.
I'm ready to buy a new spool of hose. The one I'm using is a blue 3/8. The surface is not slick like the Neptune, it looks like it has been wrapped with gauze in the final stage of production. It's pretty hard to describe but it is a one wire and is more flexible than most. I can't remember the mfg. or where I bought it but I need to get a new spool.

MEP001

Reaction score
One of the "catalog house" suppliers has it, but I don't recall which. It's what they make their assemblies from, so you'll know when you find that.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
FWIW I buy the single wire Hose assemblies from KR.

I buy Black for HP and Blue for FB all 3/8 with Swivel on one end and PVC Hiose guard.

For the price I can't see buying Bulk Hose unless I wanted to have some on hand if one breaks in the trough or equipment room.

It's kind of strange but the regular end assemblies are $21.75 for a 3/8" 20 foot. Comes to about $1.09 / ft with ends vs their bulk hose at $1.11 per foot.

keniniowa

Reaction score
We made hydraulic hoses at our old shop. I debated keeping the machine when we closed, but felt like with a little planning I'm money ahead to buy pre-made.

Now I can also get hoses made two places within a few blocks of my wash in case of an emergency. YRMV

I'm thinking in terms of trying to find the best tough-covered hose to go from the control room to the bays and replacing all those. Which while I'm thinking about it, how do you guys supend your hoses from the ceilings as they pass through the bays?

Sounds like I should just keep using the Goodyears for gun hoses.

Etowah

Randy

Reaction score
We use Stainless steel tubing from the equipment room out to the boom with a short jumper at the ends.

keniniowa

Reaction score
We use Stainless steel tubing from the equipment room out to the boom with a short jumper at the ends.
When I first bought my wash I thought I wanted to hard line it out to the bays. The guy that was helping me at the time talked me out of it.

Happen to be going to a hydraulic line supplier tomorrow for something else. I'll ask them about it.

MikeV

Reaction score
Stainless steel tubing from the equipment room to the bays is the best way to go. I did mine about 10 years ago and haven't had a single issue with them. 3/8" tubing is what I use for the hp lines, 1'4" for the low pressure stuff.

Wally

Reaction score
We made hydraulic hoses at our old shop. I debated keeping the machine when we closed, but felt like with a little planning I'm money ahead to buy pre-made.

Now I can also get hoses made two places within a few blocks of my wash in case of an emergency. YRMV

I'm thinking in terms of trying to find the best tough-covered hose to go from the control room to the bays and replacing all those. Which while I'm thinking about it, how do you guys supend your hoses from the ceilings as they pass through the bays?

Sounds like I should just keep using the Goodyears for gun hoses.
That's interesrting. All of the washes I've ever seen, the hose goes above the ceiling.