What's new

Home Made Coin Operated Tire Machine

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I'm considering a coin operated tire inflator and want to make my own...I searched old threads and there's not much on the subject...The coin box, timer and coin acceptor is the easy part....If anyone has made their own, maybe you could share your thoughts/experiences...Even with the commercial ones, you might have suggestions and comments to offer.

A Few Questions that come to mind...

What solenoid did you use? Most solenoids require a differential between inlet and outlet for the solenoid to work properly. Since air will be deadheaded at the tire chuck, is this an issue?

I'm also trying to figure out what hose is best to use? A coiled hose and a hook on the wall below the coin box to hang up? Or a straight 1/4" or 3/8" hose? I'm also considering an automatic reel but I am limited to having it mounted on the side of the building under the coin box. I can't mount it so its inside my ER....I can see a lot of reasons NOT to go this route....A lot of the commercial air machines at gas stations back here use 1/4" coiled hose. Even though I mostly see them in knots! It probably won't be any worse than vac hoses, just one more thing to add to the list of things to do at the wash!

So Decisions, Decisions...I have an 80 gallon compressor that I rarely hear come on so I have plenty of capacity. I can't see spending several grand on a commercial air machine but would be nice to have another income source. I can do this for about $500 or less using my existing compressor...Thoughts/Suggestions?

chaz

Reaction score
If you have a vac that is close to your outside wall...that’s gonna be the easiest. I ran a line from my main compressor in rubber air tube from the compressor through the attic. Once it gets outside I converted to pipe. I’ve got a kip solenoid inside the vac dome and a 15foot rubber house with inflator attached to that. A simple double throw toggle switch between vac and air...using the same pricing and timer as the vac. You could also do without the toggle switch and allow vac and air simultaneously. Pretty easy and cheap to do. My only regret was not doing this sooner....I just was afraid to charge for air. Oh yeah...and in my case....had I remembered a ran extra conduit to all my vacs I could have avoided the attic trip.

MEP001

Reaction score
You shouldn't have an issue with any solenoid as long as its MOPD is higher than the air pressure supplied to it. The chuck holding pressure in the hose would not be relevant since they rarely hold pressure 100%, besides air trapped after the solenoid will reduce the MOPD rating. KIP is one of the best for reliability in my experience, and Kleen-Rite has a 150 PSI one for $27.

I'd recommend 1/4" high pressure hose. You won't have anyone cutting it to steal the chuck and gauge, and from what I've seen they tend to last long enough that the rubber starts to fall off from age before it breaks. You can order an assembly from KR with a bend restrictor at one end pretty cheap.

Have you considered a boom for the hose, either a 360° one or wall-mounted with a gas pump type recoiler to keep the chuck off the ground? I wouldn't ever use a self-recoiler after watching people just drop the chuck on the ground and let it slam itself back to the machine. All that said, I'd go with a hose and hook first even knowing I'd be picking it up 20 times a day.

water guy

Reaction score
Im. Converting a shampoo machine to an air machine where did you get a compressor at.

chaz

Reaction score
Im. Converting a shampoo machine to an air machine where did you get a compressor at.

I ran a feed off my main compressor and used a solenoid in the vac dome and a toggle switch between vac and air using the same vac timer

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I ran a feed off my main compressor and used a solenoid in the vac dome and a toggle switch between vac and air using the same vac timer
I like Chaz's set-up on a vac. It lets you charge for air without looking like a crook. The only thing I would do different, is I would put the solenoid valve in the equipment room as close to the compressor as possible. A downstream leak would be detected much easier and would only leak when air was selected at the vac.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Good ideas. I can't get air to my vacs, so that option is out. Putting a coin acceptor on the front of the building is my only option.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Currently trying a cheap compressor from Harbor Freight. Removed it from the tank. You could get one from a big box store as well. Make sure you get an oil less one. Thinking of trying this since Thoma prices are out of sight and Gast not far behind.
https://www.zoro.com/california-air-tools-air-compressor-oil-free-motor-10-hp-mp100lf/i/G4125460/
Just make sure cabinet dimensions will accommodate . Use a Zoro Coupon to get rice down.

Reaction score
ebay has "coin tire inflator compressors" all day long for a couple hundred bucks. I think using the main compressor if you have a large one (60 gal +) is the way to go. Customers appreciate being able to inflate a tire in seconds vs minutes. Most commercial pay tire inflator chucks do not hold pressure by design, just FYI. Acceptor, timer, solenoid, and hose should get it done. Pretty simple.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Why an oilless compressor? They're louder and less reliable in my experience.

A[/url][/U]
Well, I bought one that uses oil and directions said check oil after every use. Now, I am sure that this doesn't mean every 4 minutes, but the way it is positioned in the machine this is not easy to do. I am sure it will be negelcted.
Thomas oiless lasted for a long time. Had one with a counter and it was 40,000 cycles. Gast Oiless seem to be lasting a long time as well. I have 5 machines in operation and for a wile had a business I sold out my interest with air machines on a revenue share basis - over 50. Did not have a reliability issue. My former partner uses Gast now and both they and Thomas could be rebuilt at least once.