What's new

Home made booms

Reaction score
In the diy spirit from relay chains vs multiplexer, diy air dryers, plc to kiss circuits. I love incredibly simple solutions to over complex problems. I would love to hear or see any home brew boom ideas. As a mechanic I have access to a few failing powerstroke hubs and I really like the z booms. After all the 360 overhead boom works way better than yanking on the wall boom only to slam that hose into your car and seems to hang on everything as you travel around the car. Not to mention my bays are pretty low so I pretty much count the days until a camper comes through and catches its ac on the boom ripping it down. So what do ya'll got for me?

Timmb

Reaction score
Back 20 years ago when I first saw Z-booms I liked the idea but couldn't afford them. I got tired of painting my steel single boom Monorails. I took one to a fabricator and had 6 made out of stainless steel with just a stub extension. I bought nylon pillow block bearings and used the same swivel system that was already existing for the high pressure and foaming brush. Having access to a tube bending machine I made my own "Z,"extensions using exhaust tubing. Not having the "finished" look of the high-end ones I covered them with used vacuum hose. When I change out my vacuum hoses I use the old ones on the booms. 20 years ago it was about $1,000 for everything who knows now. Worked for me!

Attachments

Last edited: