What's new

Hiring Help for SS Tips

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Hey guys I want to talk about a subject I never see on the form. I fired my helper last night clean up guy for good, and want to get a first class clean up attendant and wanted to hear others tips on the hiring process. My guy worked with me for 7 years or more every day, he got way to comfortable and become too lazy and had a negative attitude. It's like nobody wants to work anymore they just want to show up to get a paycheck and leave. I want to hire a retired fellow veteran preferred that has drivers liscence but I swear if I put that in the paper or online it would be discrimination and I would have backlash from it, any tips on this would be awsome, before I start riding around the community and country stores talking to people.

mac

Reaction score
Good topic. Here in FL there is a group the finds jobs just for veterans. Be suspicious of everyone because of the cash factor. Do a criminal background check. Might be the best hundred bucks you spend. The other stuff you most likely know. And good luck.

Randy

Reaction score
I don’t even know where to start on this subject. First of all you have to realize that car wash cleanup work is just about as low as a person can go, it’s boring, $hit work, unrewarding. A cleanup person is basically wiping the a$$ of society, day in and day out. Put yourself in his shoes and see how you’d like to do that kind of work, I don’t like it.
We had one of our cleanup guys retire a couple of months ago. We put an ad on a job search web site. We had over 100 applications. You could not believe the number of flakes that we had apply. We ended up with 10 good leads, out of those 10 we did background checks on 4, and out of the 4 we hired 2 guys, both retired, non-veterans. One quit within a week, he said it was “depressing and demeaning” work. The other guy is outstanding, he’s retired and just needs something to do and he does an excellent job. We pay our people very well, starts at $15 an hour and goes to $20 after 12 months. The guys who pay there help cash under the table are only fooling themselves. If they get hurt on the job you’re liable for them and it could get very expensive. Tdlconceptsllc I think you made a huge mistake firing your helper until you found someone to take his place. Good luck finding someone who will wipe the a$$ of society day in and day out.

Damoni88

Reaction score
I have been blessed to have someone work for me the last 2 years and trust him with everything. He still has alot to learn but is always willing. Sometimes me being retired military i kinda just take over and should really let him do it but i also want him to know i do not mind doing the grunt work to. Finding someone good is tough so if you do get someone good and willing to do thing YOUR WAY you better keep them unless they do something terribly wrong.

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't feel like you need a veteran - the best attendees I've dealt with at washes were definitely retirees, not necessarily veterans, the nicer guys that like to say hello to everyone. They're less likely to feel like they're doing a crappy janitorial job because they came from a time when any job they could get was a good one. Someone who takes pride in their work, even if it's cleaning, isn't going to hate it. I've been my own attendant for ages and I almost enjoy it. The hardest part is not getting pi$$ed off at the messes that clean up pretty easy and doesn't harm anything.

One of the worst retiree attendants I've ever seen was a veteran. I watched him go up to a guy who had just finished washing his motorcycle and had pulled out a towel to dry off his seat, hadn't even gotten the towel wet yet and the old guy was shouting at him telling him to put money on the timer or get the hell out of the bay. Worst part was, he was the only customer there.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Randy I was happy with the guy for a long time and I over paid him also, but I have a small case of OCD and go to my wash at least 2x a day anyways and always pick up trash and wash bays but the guys attitude had become very negative and he had no motivation the past 6 months should I say. Lets just say last night I was pressure washing my roof and he leaves me up there with no phone and leaves for 30mins and comes back on the clock the ladder fell and had to get a customer to help me get down pressure washer running on the ground. He pulls back up with his freind and acts like nothing's wrong said he had to take care of personal business. Lets just say I was a little heated so I guess you know he had to go.

wash12

Reaction score
I am trying to find a manager that can answer the calls and go down in case of an emergency, can't seem to find anyone. Tried craigslist and indeed and haven't even seen much interest even at $25 an hour! Does the paper work better? I to want someone retired looking for something to do that keeps there phone handy, I am getting on average 2 calls a day most of which are questions. Tired of getting calls daily.

Alpine Dreams

Reaction score
I am trying to find a manager that can answer the calls and go down in case of an emergency, can't seem to find anyone. Tried craigslist and indeed and haven't even seen much interest even at $25 an hour! Does the paper work better? I to want someone retired looking for something to do that keeps there phone handy, I am getting on average 2 calls a day most of which are questions. Tired of getting calls daily.
Not getting interest at $25/hour is very surprising. Current highest state minimum wage is $12/hour until 7/1/19 when D.C. goes to $14/hour, yes I know it's not a state. You are paying well unless it's a 2 hour a day pay time or something.