What's new

Hight Velocity

wash4me

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a high velocity that's slowing down while the bridge is going from front to back of the car. It has steady volts and hertz on the vfd. Amps go up to between 10 and 11 when it is slowing down and normally run less than 3 amps. If I push it by hand it will speed back up to where it should be. Any thoughts? It seems like the vfd would trip out but it has not tripped. It just says motor run time exceeded because it's moving just a foot per second when it's slowing down.

Last edited:

lag

Reaction score
Make sure all your rollers are getting grease, or tires aren't over inflated. From there you may need to pull tires and manually push it up one down rails,checking that it rolls nice,and that the rail is true and straight. Make sure none of your bolts or rods are not broken.

I've seen broken motor shaft make them run slow, but it is usually slow all the way.

I suspect something with rollers or something causing it to bind on rails.

Good luck.

Last edited:

wash4me

Reaction score
Make sure all your rollers are getting grease, or tires aren't over inflated. From there you may need to pull tires and manually push it up one down rails,checking that it rolls nice,and that the rail is true and straight. Make sure none of your bolts or rods are not broken.

I've seen broken motor shaft make them run slow, but it is usually slow all the way.

Good luck.
Okay, I looked at everything and did not see anything wrong. The machine gets 2 pumps of grease per zerk on the first of each month. I had someone grease each of the 6 zerks relevant to the carriage rollers and watched until grease came out. (6-10 pumps) We ran the machine after this and it ran fine. We then greased it again until grease came out. (2-4 pumps) We ran it with the joystick back and forth for about an hour then felt the bearings thinking one would be warm. None were warm. I am thinking I probably have a bearing going out and the grease is a temporary fix. I wish I would have greased them one at a time so I'd know which one was causing the problem. Any other ideas?

I suspect something with rollers or something causing it to bind on rails.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
whenever i have had bearings or gearboxes going bad ther have been clues like grinding noise, wheels / shfts seizing etc.

if it happens again and your bearings and gearboxes seem okay, i'd check my hand / off / auto controls. you said yours is a joystick; all the power runs through that. mine had a problem ( different machine) with broken and corroded parts.

lag

Reaction score
Sounds like your rollers just were running dry. I've seen that exact same thing happen a number of times when I worked for a distributor many many years ago.

I can offer up some advice of what we do for PM.

Every two weeks 3 to 4 pumps until grease comes out, then we just wipe the access off.
Manufacturers recommend yearly changing of the rollers, I believe. We run them two years, they do wear out.

Make sure you are using a quilty grease. We just use the artic jet lube that WW or PDQ sells. Some grease fails at high temps some at low temps. I've actually seen them look like chewing gum. Better safe then sorry.

That's just the way we choose to do PM. I'd really recommend following the WW HV manual for maintaining your equipment.

There is only 3 bearings. One behind each tire, and one carrier bearing just off the PS frame. Should be fairly easy to inspect . Just need to pull tires.

I think you have my number if I can be of any assistance!

Etowah

wash4me

Reaction score
lag, what do you use to lubricate the slide on the festoon cable and what frequency on that.

MDrost1

Reaction score
I use white lithium grease on the festoon. We do it every two weeks during the bridge greasing.

lag

Reaction score
White lithium works well. Stay away from chain lube type products, they just collect dirt.

We also just spray down the rollers, and not the track. They seem to attract dirt, causing the rollers not to move smoothly. Many operators just spray the whole track, just needs to be cleaned more IMHO. Either way every two weeks.