What's new

Higher pressure

robtl

central Ky
Reaction score
I have been thinking,,(OH NO),, discounting the extra cost, would it not be better in a no touch system to deliver the pre-soak at a higher pressure say 200-500 psi where it would get better impingement on the grime rather than just run soaking over the vehicle?

You would need to keep from hitting the car so hard as to bounce the soap off the car but to make it hit with a little force to try and get under the grime to the surface of car and loosen the static friction of the dirt!

Or am I trying to reinvent the wheel here?

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
High pressure application of presoaks will just use more chemical. Presoaks are designed to lift dirt from the surface so it is more important to get good coverage rather than worry about impingement. Concerns about impingement should be addressed in the rinse.

robtl

central Ky
Reaction score
High pressure application of presoaks will just use more chemical. Presoaks are designed to lift dirt from the surface so it is more important to get good coverage rather than worry about impingement. Concerns about impingement should be addressed in the rinse.
One time when soaking down my truck with self serv pre-soak I was trying to get some rough stuff off and when I almost touched the truck with the tip the grime just floated off but when I just let the soap just float on and lightly cover it did not get the dirt off,,,
as far as lifting the dirt off I understand but with the correct pressure and smaller size and different nozzle angles the amount of presoak could be adjusted to get both coverage plus a little more pressure to maybe break thru the crust of some dirt and also cover for a soaking cover.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I have been thinking,,(OH NO),, discounting the extra cost, would it not be better in a no touch system to deliver the pre-soak at a higher pressure say 200-500 psi where it would get better impingement on the grime rather than just run soaking over the vehicle?

You would need to keep from hitting the car so hard as to bounce the soap off the car but to make it hit with a little force to try and get under the grime to the surface of car and loosen the static friction of the dirt!

Or am I trying to reinvent the wheel here?
I've been considering the same thing myself and plan to meet with my chemical guy soon about it. Right now I deliver it using the FloJet air pumps and have been thinking about swapping them out and using Procon pumps for more pressure. I'm interested as to what others think as well. In my self serves, when you use the presoak, the car comes out sparkling clean.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Actually, there is some merit to your idea.

Consider conveyor operators who inject pre-soak into the pressure gun units they use to manually prepare vehicles before they enter the tunnel. Same principal applies. Most of these gun units are rated around 10 gpm @ 1,000 psi. I used to set mine to deliver about 500 to 600 psi at the tip.

Bottom-line is benefit/cost. Relatively speaking, it is usually easier to justify this approach with a conveyor operation because tunnels typically have lower per unit costs than in-bays in terms of chemical, utilities and maintenance.