What's new

High Pressure stops then starts again...

Twodose

Reaction score
I have a bay that when you are using the High Pressure it will just turn off, but the display in the bay keeps counting down, it came back on about 30 seconds later, it can’t be the 24v or the timer would have quit.

I do have a d.o.m 1.5 sec delay on the high pressure. Do ya think it is possible this is the problem?

This is the first time I have had this happen while I was running it, but have been told by a couple people it was stopping then starting, I couldn't confirm this because I couldn't re-create the problem, of course until today. :D

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
My guess would be that you are losing the 24V to the pump contactor. I would look for a loose connection at the contactor or rotary switch, broken wire, or a bad rotary switch.

MEP001

Reaction score
Check the other functions to see if they still work when this happens. You may have a timer output failing - it can happen with a Dixmor with the timer still counting down but no 24V out.

Your motor or the wiring to it could be overheating - newer contactors with a thermal overload typically have an auto-reset position, so when it cools off it resets. One way systems are wired is to put only the motor starter control voltage through the thermal overload; I prefer to run all the bay's power through it and use it in manual.

If the latter is the problem and you don't correct it, you'll eventually have something fail. The overload will only trip so many times before it quits, or the wiring could burn up.

Wally

Reaction score
Twodose, I had the same thing happen. It was a Dixmor timer problem. Put your spare in there and see if the problem goes away. Dixmor can repair it.

Twodose

Reaction score
The timer is a Gin-San GS-401 in the equipment room, out in the bay is a GS-31 display.

MEP001

Reaction score
The GS-401 would be the problem if the issue is with the timer. The display is just a "dummy" slave.

Did you check anything I suggested?

Twodose

Reaction score
There is a separate breaker for the 24v. I was cleaning the bay on rinse when it just stopped, i looked up at the timer and is was still counting down, so I walked inside the ER to look at the panel for that bay, I really didn't know what to do in a hurry so I went back out to the bay and was going to do what you suggested and try the other functions but it came back on as I was walking out the door.

The timer controls the display so I don't think it would be the timer because I would think that if it was the display would have shut off or went to zero.

The thermal overload is set to manual so it couldn't be that or I would of had to reset it.

I checked all the wires out in the bay and the rotary switch, everthing looked ok, but I could not recreate the problem.

I replaced the 1.5 sec delay because that is the only thing I could think of that would cut the high voltage without stopping all the other functions.

Going to have to wait and see if it happens again, I don't know what else it could be at the moment. :eek:

Reaction score
What is the make of the equipment?. Does it have a plug in the meter box, i have seen them get lose and cause problems.

Twodose

Reaction score
Dilling-Harris, purchased in 1995.

There are no plugs, everything is wired to a terminal block.

MEP001

Reaction score
Twodose said:
The timer controls the display so I don't think it would be the timer because I would think that if it was the display would have shut off or went to zero.
The timer doesn't control the display. As I said, the display in the bay is a dummy slave and does nothing but display the time. The GS-401 in the room supplies the voltage to the equipment. If you have an intermittent output problem from the timer, it's going to be the GS-401.

Flamingo

Reaction score
I had a the same problem a couple of months ago on high pressure functions/my problem turned out to be a small relay in the bay
box..It looks like an ice cube.The relay looked burnt.I had the panel open and started looking for a loose connection when it would stop. Mine was the ice cube relay..It could be a wire that has a bad connection too.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
I had a the same problem a couple of months ago on high pressure functions/my problem turned out to be a small relay in the bay
box..It looks like an ice cube.The relay looked burnt.I had the panel open and started looking for a loose connection when it would stop. Mine was the ice cube relay..It could be a wire that has a bad connection too.
I too had the same problem last week.
It was a bad plugin base that the relay plugs into. I replaced the base and the problem went away.