What's new

High-pressure pump question

Reaction score
Hey guys I’ve got a question, does this oil look alright in this pump? as I’m thinking the oil looks like it’s starting to go bad, and what would people suggest for your preferred high-pressure pump? As the one that I have was discontinued around 40 years ago so the manufacturer no longer has any documentation or parts for it, It’s a Arimitsu T-290BT 5767CA78-99F9-49FD-BD28-EFBF91B47F80.jpeg 2E85AD7F-EE0D-40BB-AF08-9A8DE5031AD7.jpeg

MEP001

Reaction score
That's water in the crankcase. You can keep changing the oil to make it last a little longer, but it's on borrowed time.

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't know what an Arimitsu calls for. If it were me, I'd mix 3 parts ND-30WT oil and one part transmission fluid. That will help pull the water out of the crankcase, and it's cheap which is a good thing because you'll want to change the oil very frequently.

Have you ever had the pump apart? Maybe there's an o-ring seal you can change and get some life out of it. What is the pump used for? By the specs it's high volume compared to a regular bay pump. It's rated about 1200 PSI, do you need that much pressure?

Reaction score
I’ve normally just ran it at 1200 psi, it’s good to get the bug and mud off Plus most washes here in Canberra normally run about 1200 psi, Excluding The local wash chain which was 900 psi but that didn’t really feel like much power at the gun, and I haven’t had any issues until I decided I’ll have a quick look at the oil, and Ill be honest, I have never had that pump apart simplest because when it was running before it really didn’t have any sort of issues First considering how old it was I thought if I took a chance of taking apart, the roads have been a chance that It could break too, and the flow rate of it is about 10.7 L per minute(2.83 gallons per minute) not at 10.7 gallons per minute,

Reaction score
I don't know what an Arimitsu calls for. If it were me, I'd mix 3 parts ND-30WT oil and one part transmission fluid. That will help pull the water out of the crankcase, and it's cheap which is a good thing because you'll want to change the oil very frequently.

Have you ever had the pump apart? Maybe there's an o-ring seal you can change and get some life out of it. What is the pump used for? By the specs it's high volume compared to a regular bay pump. It's rated about 1200 PSI, do you need that much pressure?
So I have never had the pump apart, but it looks like It potentially may not be as bad as when I first saw, as I noticed there was a small plastic cover and after lifting that up, it showed that the wet end of the pump and the drive end of the pump look like they are physically separate from each other, I have attached a photo, I and in regards to trying to find non-detergent 30 weight oil I have not had any luck, although I can get Cat pump oil pretty easily, Would that work? And what particular type of transmission fluid would you recommend? 53DC0AE2-35F9-41B1-AA37-8F0D9FD32D97.jpeg
The two little pot things, I think they are for lubricating the plungers on the wet side of the pump head, so unless it’s water cooled There really shouldn’t be a reason as to why water gotten into the pump,And I think water would’ve accidentally gone into the drive end of the pump, as a return hose that went from the unloader to the inlet side of the pump burst, which I have recently replaced

MEP001

Reaction score
You can get ND30 from most auto parts stores, Walmart, my local grocery store and some convenience stores have it. You can also use Cat oil, or get a jug of ISO68 hydraulic oil from Tractor supply. It would be great if your burst hose is what got water in it, once you get the water cleared out it should be fine.

Reaction score
I’ve had a look at some auto parts stores over here and none of them have any information to say “contains no detergent“ I did see some 30 weight but it didn’t say if it contained detergent I even asked the store manager and they said they weren’t sure

Kar B Kleen

Reaction score
Dude, from the looks of your photos--go get yourself a new pump. You've got your money's worth out of that one.:geek:

Reaction score
Dude, from the looks of your photos--go get yourself a new pump. You've got your money's worth out of that one.:geek:
I know I know, but there’s probably still a little bit of life left in it, I just want to make sure that I get all of its life out of it, And I know the Pistons definitely look a little dirty, but that’s actually because I put grease into those grease pots, And considering that I’ve only actually had this pump for about two years and not 40, I just want to see if I can get a bit of extra life out of it

MEP001

Reaction score
It should say "ND30" or "ND 30WT." That's non-detergent 30WT. Just don't put regular motor oil in it. You're probably better off with Car oil, it will clean the pump out. Whatever you use, just change the oil maybe once a week until it stays clear.

Reaction score
It should say "ND30" or "ND 30WT." That's non-detergent 30WT. Just don't put regular motor oil in it. You're probably better off with Car oil, it will clean the pump out. Whatever you use, just change the oil maybe once a week until it stays clear.
At the moment I’m currently flushing it out with SAE 30, I’m just doing a little bit of a flush just to try and make sure I get as much as the old oil out as possible, I picked it up when I went to a place that deals in Pressure Washer‘s, not my exact model but mainly commercial brands such as Karcher and Gerni So I gave them a call and ask them if they have any 10 W 30 non-detergent oil, and they said yes I do and then I asked them about it when I get into the store and they said they’ve only got SAE 30, and hopefully I haven’t made a mistake and spent $22 on the wrong Oil image.jpg
The red oil at the top of the container is the new stuff the yellowy oil is the old stuff, I’m just wanting to make sure I get all of it out

MEP001

Reaction score
Whatever you end up running in it when you put it back in service, definitely change it a couple of times once the heat and oil moving around gets into everything.

MEP001

Reaction score
Not SAE 30. ND30. Or ISO 68 hydraulic oil. It's the same thing as Cat oil and a lot cheaper.