What's new

High Pressure Lines from Equip room to Bays

Etowah

softsuds

Reaction score
I'm remodeling a Self Serve Wash. Any Suggestions on what to use for the high pressure lines from the Equipment room out to the bay booms ? I'm new to this.

Currently there is 3/8" high pressure rubber hose. Just looking for ideas on something better or is this the best way to go ?

Thanks

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
stainless steel is better.

I have regular hp hose and it is fine. it's the hoses people yank on that wear out most.

softsuds

Reaction score
stainless steel is better.

I have regular hp hose and it is fine. it's the hoses people yank on that wear out most.

Do you mean a braided stainless hose or rigid stainless tubing ?

-Brandon

MEP001

Reaction score
I've always used the Synflex hose. It won't break if it freezes, and it has some give to it that makes the bay run smoother and quieter. It needs to be protected so that it won't rub through against something, otherwise it holds up very well.

washtubman

Reaction score
My wash was built in 1988 and I have never had to replace the 3/8" Goodyear high pressure rubber hoses that run to the bays. Of course you need them to be wire braid on the inside. I would not go with anything else unless of course the pocketbook is fat!

Randy

Reaction score
It sounds to me like you?re on a budget. I?d go with 3/8? Stainless steel braid hose, Goodyear Neptune is a good hose. I?ve got hoses that have been in service 20 years and they are still holding up. You want to install chaffing on any rub points up in the attic so the hose doesn?t wear a hole in it.
If you want to get real fancy, Use Stainless steel tubing.

jprb

Reaction score
I don't remember if I have ever changed a hose in the attic, other than one that was chaffing on a bend. Our oldest wash is 12 years old now. They are all braided hose. Not sure if any are stainless braid.

JPRB

dclark3344

Reaction score
I have an insulated trough in the enclosed attic with steel braided hose and only one leak in 6 years with it rubbing on a fitting. I have since seen stainless steel tubing laid in a plastic rack that was really slick. I was told their is less pressure drop using the stainless steel tubing and it would last forever. The rack was kind of like a fishing rod rack.

bigleo48

Reaction score
I have stainless steel lines. They have a few benefits, first it last forever (install it and forget it), it provides less resistance and thus less drop in pressure, won't split if frozen and heat can be applied directly (like from a heat gun).

BigLeo

bigleo48

Reaction score
I had that installed a few years back as part of my complete install, so I don't have the price breakdown. I think it was 1/4"

BigLeo

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I have stainless steel lines. They have a few benefits, first it last forever (install it and forget it), it provides less resistance and thus less drop in pressure, won't split if frozen and heat can be applied directly (like from a heat gun).

BigLeo

Have to disagree. Have Stainless hydraulic lines that failed. I can only guess the culprit was metal fatigue. But it did last 20+ years. I find it easier to have a swager and hose on hand for repairs and have been changing out SS tubing as it fails. Also did not realize that the JIC Nipple used to join 2 lengths of stainless was not stainless and several corroded to nothing and failed. It was an issue removing corroded remnants and making a repair.

Randy

Reaction score
I?ve installed a lot of stainless tubing over the years when I was on nuclear subs. It?s about 2 ? times the cost of High Pressure hose. The most expensive part is the stainless steel fittings. If you?re on a budget, hose will work fine.

MikeV

Reaction score
I've always used 3/8" stainless tubing with stainless compression fittings. Never rusts, breaks, fails in over 20 years. It is a little pricier than hose, but no worries once it is done...correctly. Cushion clamps and unistrut (all stainless).

bigleo48

Reaction score
What I've discovered from boating, there are different grades of stainless! You usually get what you pay for...but we all know that!